2 hours after meal ....?

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Films with Nicholas Cage !
Sorry if I've missed some glaringly obvious answers, but could someone please explain to me when the 2 hours countdown starts ?
Is it 2 hours after you start eating or is it two hours after taking your last bite ? And what about your glass of red wine after your meal ? Is it 2 hours after you've just drained your glass ?
The reason I ask is because I usually linger over a meal and it can often be as much as an hour from the first forkful to the last drop of wine.
I would much appreciate some pointers on this, please.

bluecurlylegend.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bluecurlylegend,

The 2 hour countdown for a postprandial reading starts from the first bite of your meal.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: dbr10

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you db89, I'll put that into practice right now.

I've probably broken the rules of etiquette on this site by not introducing myself. I've only recently been notified that I am prediabetic and just last week I started monitoring my blood glucose level and joining this forum.
Please have patience with a total beginner, and thanks again for the prompt reply.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I've probably broken the rules of etiquette on this site by not introducing myself. I've only recently been notified that I am prediabetic and just last week I started monitoring my blood glucose level and joining this forum.
Please have patience with a total beginner, and thanks again for the prompt reply.

No rules broken! You had a question and asked it. :) There is no need to formally introduce yourself.
Welcome aboard.

I agree with @db89 by the way. 2 hours after first bite. Let us know how you are going on and if there is anything else we can help with.

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Welcome and for info I go with the first bite rule.
However you may have opened a can of worms as I know not everyone agrees with it.
My advice is whatever route you pick just be consistent.

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry if I've missed some glaringly obvious answers, but could someone please explain to me when the 2 hours countdown starts ?
Is it 2 hours after you start eating or is it two hours after taking your last bite ? And what about your glass of red wine after your meal ? Is it 2 hours after you've just drained your glass ?
The reason I ask is because I usually linger over a meal and it can often be as much as an hour from the first forkful to the last drop of wine.
I would much appreciate some pointers on this, please.

bluecurlylegend.
Hi and welcome, You will find many answers here from so many wonderful people at many levels of Diabetes
When I was told I was border line in 2004 a small change to my diet took place, but it made no difference to end result when in 2016 an MOT at the doctor told me I was type2 and had been for sometime.
I was never given a meter so after a blood test 6 months later the results were no better I bought a meter to keep a check on what happens and to find what is good or bad for me so 2hr after I've sat down at the end of a meal I test. This can tell me how things are going. Red wine I've got to leave it alone somebody else could get away with it.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome and for info I go with the first bite rule.
However you may have opened a can of worms as I know not everyone agrees with it.
My advice is whatever route you pick just be consistent.

Very true, I find it depends what I'm eating, and how long the meal takes.
A short meal and the beginning and end are close enough not to matter.
A long meal, and you may just be finishing when you're testing.

So I tend to go for the mid point of the meal.

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the replies, they've all been helpful.
I suppose like most people this is a bit of a voyage of discovery for me. Looseboy sums it up though...Consistency !

Thanks again folks.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind

Awww I am new here and am sure that I have done the same somewhere, or written in the wrong part of this forum etc. People seem very nice here and are so helpful..I love the fact that I can come here and ask a few questions about things that I am not sure about. I am also Prediabetic and felt very angry when I was told this. In fact I may have come across as a little angry on here at times,going against people's advice, which I am so sorry for. I have Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Thyroid probs,Heart Condition,now am told that my sugar is very high. I have to eat for my heart and Prediabetes now..It can be difficult,but with the help of the kind people on this forum I am getting there.

bluecurlylegend

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
derry60, it's a **** scunner, isn't it ? I know what you mean though. And, although I've only recently discovered this site, I agree with you about people being helpful on here.
The Fight Goes On !!