2 months diagnosed - complications

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
So got up this morning for the 3rd day of carb low stuff. I have to say one thing, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU HAVE FOR BREAKFAST?

Egg or egg?

:crazy:

36 hours without gliclazide and a 7.2 reading upon rise this morning which I think is ok considering 10 days ago it was off the scale?

horsed down 4 metformin and 1 sitagliptin for the days jollies.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try a yoghurt and berries for breakfast, just keep an eye on the amount of carbs in the yoghurt, I don't know which others have but I'm okay with the Total Greek yoghurt. You could also add bacon to the eggs or a good sausage, again check the carbs some sausage have a lot in. Scrambled eggs with Smoked Salmon, buy the trimmings of smoked salmon to keep cost down. I'm sure others can add to this list.

Ann

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Ann19 said:
You could try a yoghurt and berries for breakfast, just keep an eye on the amount of carbs in the yoghurt, I don't know which others have but I'm okay with the Total Greek yoghurt. You could also add bacon to the eggs or a good sausage, again check the carbs some sausage have a lot in. Scrambled eggs with Smoked Salmon, buy the trimmings of smoked salmon to keep cost down. I'm sure others can add to this list.

Ann

This is the thing, you are kind of limited. Had sausage bacon and egg for my evening meal last night. I will have a look at some low carb recipes and see if I can work things out :)

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
well spoke with the clinic this afternoon and they agree, stay off the gliclazide for the time being. Sat at 5.2 tonight. So I guess the diet may also be seriously helping.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good, defo too many meds without a pause to consider effect! Try burgen bread and test 2 hours later, might be tolerable.

Ali

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Ali H said:
That's good, defo too many meds without a pause to consider effect! Try burgen bread and test 2 hours later, might be tolerable.

Ali
I will try ordering that ;) I have noticed, if I take something with raised carbs my sugars also rise so glad you guys pointed this out to me :) THANK YOU ALL. :clap:

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Ali H said:

Ali
bought a loaf today but the carbs are fairly high still 14g a slice, may be ok with 1 slice a day though?

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, just try 1 slice and test 2 hours later. I only eat 1 slice occasionally, usually cheese on toast or a fried egg(fried in butter!) The fat in the cheese or butter slow down the digestion of the carbs.

Ann

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Ann19 said:
Yes, just try 1 slice and test 2 hours later. I only eat 1 slice occasionally, usually cheese on toast or a fried egg(fried in butter!) The fat in the cheese or butter slow down the digestion of the carbs.

Ann
I am now realising that 8 bottles of cider DO NOT help! 20.4 on getting ack from the pub! WOW

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi, I dont profess to knowing much about diabetes as I am newly diagnosed but there was something that occured in my mind on your first article about the pain you were having in your chest and back. I was admitted to hospital recently with similar to the pains you were describing and it sounds like you may have had bouts of pancreatitis, which are from mild to extreme pain, they originate from the back of stomach not far from the chest and radiate through the back hence your heart etc showed nothing wrong. I had the same treatment at hospital painkillers and no other treatment. Shortly after leaving hospital I started getting symptoms of diabetes and am now waiting to discover what type. There is no doubt that my pancreatitis started my diabetes but I just wonder if you have had the same cause. I know this doesnt help what is happening at the moment, but what you described rang a bell as to the cause of your diabetes.

Simon aka Cobra3164

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Cobra3164 said:
Hi, I dont profess to knowing much about diabetes as I am newly diagnosed but there was something that occured in my mind on your first article about the pain you were having in your chest and back. I was admitted to hospital recently with similar to the pains you were describing and it sounds like you may have had bouts of pancreatitis, which are from mild to extreme pain, they originate from the back of stomach not far from the chest and radiate through the back hence your heart etc showed nothing wrong. I had the same treatment at hospital painkillers and no other treatment. Shortly after leaving hospital I started getting symptoms of diabetes and am now waiting to discover what type. There is no doubt that my pancreatitis started my diabetes but I just wonder if you have had the same cause. I know this doesnt help what is happening at the moment, but what you described rang a bell as to the cause of your diabetes.

Simon aka Cobra3164
yep that is the same sort of thing. The only slight difference is I had the pain off and on for 2 years, mainly very mild but had a heavy bout early this year and the really heavy one in july which resulted in this. Getting some mild pains again!

Yep the end product is the same with the same pains. Scans showed no pancreatitis though.

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Oh dear. That bread this morning would seem to have hit real hard. I am normally sat between 5 and 6 at this time of day. It has rocketed to the highest it has been for over a week, 10.3.

So I guess the bread is out. Pity there is no low carb or carb free bread :(

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test before you ate the bread? Your numbers may have been high to start with following the cider. If you have a look in the low carb diet forum, there is a recipe in there for 'Breakfast loaf', it looks really yummy with blueberries in it, I'll have to try it myself! There may also be a recipe for low carb bread as that has been mentioned on that forum.

Ann

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Ann19 said:
Did you test before you ate the bread? Your numbers may have been high to start with following the cider. If you have a look in the low carb diet forum, there is a recipe in there for 'Breakfast loaf', it looks really yummy with blueberries in it, I'll have to try it myself! There may also be a recipe for low carb bread as that has been mentioned on that forum.

Ann
yep checked before at 6.4 and 10.4 after :(

Just been seriously told off by the hospital for omitting carbs, they WANT me to eat carbs and take more pills?!?!? I am not understanding this? At the start diet was what they wanted me to use now they say don't?

I am seriously wondering now what is the right way to do this? The doctor and nurses were not amused that I had cut out carbs saying that was a silly way to do it as I need carbs for energy? My GP agrees a low carb diet is a better idea? :crazy:

I think I may aim to hit middle ground in that case. Toast for breakfast as I have thew days activities ahead and possibly have to take half a gliclizide and no carbs for the rest of the day, which, if I am being honest, is not a problem, I only miss my morning toast or cereal if I am being totally honest.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't have to eat lots of carbs for energy, if you read around the forum you can see lots of us don't eat massive amounts. Our bodies use the fat we have stored and the fat in our food for energy. The amount of carbs that you eat is entirely up to you, but if you eat more carbs , then the medication that you take may also increase. The way you control your diabetes is YOUR decision, there isn't a right or wrong way IMO, it has to be what works for you. There are people on the board that eat more carbs, Sid Bonkers for example, he controls his diabetes with portion control and low GI where possible. I doubt that I could control my portions very well, hubby is always saying that I give him too much! It sounds as though your GP is one of the more knowledgeable on diabetes.

Ann

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Well I have a feeling I may have to look at more meds anyway as I can't get my readings down below 8 now the gliclizide has been stopped :(

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Ann19 said:

Ann
After yesterdays huge hike today decided to try again as my sugars are staying a bit high anyway.

Yesterday 1 toast 1 egg and 2 bacon. Egg fried in butter and toast smothered in butter. 6.4 raised to 10.4

Today, 1 toast, 2 egg, 3 bacon fried in olive oil and toast smothered in butter. 8.7 dropped to 8.4?!?!?!

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
WOW, gripping chest pains again tonight. Some of the most painful I have had. Measured my blood sugar as they started 6.9, measured them again an hour later, 8.3!

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
2.5 hours on after these gripping pains and my blood is now 10.1. I did 2 tests in different hands the other was 13.1!!!

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
It's a funny old game as you come to terms with blood sugar control. I have had nearly 2 weeks now and it is amazingh just how differently your blood sugar varies.

For example, tonight was my daughters 8th birthday party. I had a Chinese meal, with rice, chips, birthday cak, 2 slices, finished off with a lovely orange.

I took my blood sugar some 90 mins after finishing 7.2 then again at 1am some 5 hours after and it was 7.0

So it obviously did not effect me at all? Other nights I can eat normal low carb and I go over 10?!?!

I have a strong feeling that I am still having serious issues internally. Pains again tonight so just wondering if I eat sugar and my pancreas obviously works harder = pains?