20+5 need help!!!

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

I’m 20+5! My last hba1c was 6.0% (42) the consultant was more than happy. That was 2 weeks ago.

But this past week my bloods have been all over the place and I’m getting really frustrated! I have dawn phenomena my basal insulin requirements at 2am change from 0.25 to 1.65!! This was 1.00 until last week but I’ve had to dramatically increase, because as of 3am k was going up to 10mmol, which increased to 12 even after a basal increase. With a 1.65 basal I went up to 9 about 5am but came Down to 5 by 7.30.

I increased to 1.75 on my Dsn’s advice and I literally hypoed all night last night! 3.0mmol when I woke this morning so I didn’t take my insulin in 30 minutes in advance like I usually do and 1hr later I’m 15mmol!!!

I seem to be going up after every meal now! But it’s difficult to get a pattern as I’ve had 2 Omnipod leakages with bolus doses in the past 3 days! When that happens and I go up to 15 it takes correction after correction (usually 8units at least plus a +95% temp basal) and hours to return to normal.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!! So frustrating! These last few days have just been terrible and I’m literally doing all I can!!!

Even my dsn is at a bit of a loss and says it’s down to my hormones which I know it is but it’s not much help!!!

I lost my son, Arlo a year and a half ago. So this is a very anxious pregnancy anyway!

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya congrats on pregnancy firstly
Well done !
I have two little ones one is 7 and one is 8 months old Iv been diabetic for 17 years so Iv def had my share of ups and mostly downs with control ...my hba1 in my last pregnancy was 35 it’s now 40
with both pregnancy’s I made an effort to go against my dsn and stay on the lower side of sugars around 3-4 mostly and tested two hourly day and night because both times I had blood sugars going through the roof constantly no matter what my background lantus was ... or what I ate when I injected etc! I did follow all advice from doctors but no help and they were baffled too .... so yeah I took it to my own hands and over did my novo which worked fine for me ( I don’t advise anybody would do this because I have ) because I think I got used to running on lows it didn’t affect me too much I wouldn’t go low enough to pass out when I found a happy medium .... I did fall hypo on my sleep a few times but not often ....
anyways my advise isn’t to do that ....
stick to good carbs and measure out food if you are not doing so now boring I know but stick to simple things like brown rice , sweet potato , meats fish ) I do this now with sweet potatoes etc and it really helps me ) keep adjusting your back ground every few days yourself it’s trial and error and when you find a happy medium then consult your team ... I do and did split doses so 18+18 and it works perfectly for me but everyone is diff .... your hba doesn’t sound bad at all! Ups and downs are def inevitable ... I had some 20+ sugars in this pregnancy too but hba still ended up 35 there’s only so much you can do past the hormones to control sugars in pregnancy .... I was told by my first dsn nearly 8 years ago low sugars just affect Mum not baby but high does affect baby ... as long as most of your sugars are on track you and baby are fine xxx

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also after a low I don’t always have sugar straight away in pregnancy I found that it slowly crept up and caught up itself !? unless i was below a 3 I’d leave it at night at night was my highest

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks @Tilly_S! I found I could do that on pens in my first pregnancy, but I can’t with my pump despite trying! I am going to up my insulin carb ratio at all meals and see if this helps! The only trouble is if I do that at tea time it’s difficult to get at the right level before bed.

Last night I had a wrap so knew the exact amount of carbs that were in it so I knew my carb counting was right!

I’m just so fed up of seeing high blood sugars!

I don’t mind that I was sat at 3.5ish overnight, it’s just the complications it causes in the morning! I didn’t treat that hypo because I know getting up and walking downstairs fires my hormones off!!! It’s just that it fired me too high! ‍♀️ driving me mad this week!

Insulin pumps are brill for the little tweaks but can cause so many frustrations too!!!

Thanks so much for your reply!

My carb ratios at the moment are

1:5 (+2 units)
1:5 (+2 units)
1:6

Going to go 1:4,1:4,1:5 and see where we go x

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you tried doing basal hour half -2 hours before dinner ? might be worth a shot I have to do this now even when not preg .... sounds like you really are doing everything you can though .... have you got that libra meter ? Night times are the worst at best if times I know these 9 months are the most stressful but so worth it xxx

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I’m 20+5! My last hba1c was 6.0% (42) the consultant was more than happy. That was 2 weeks ago.

But this past week my bloods have been all over the place and I’m getting really frustrated! I have dawn phenomena my basal insulin requirements at 2am change from 0.25 to 1.65!! This was 1.00 until last week but I’ve had to dramatically increase, because as of 3am k was going up to 10mmol, which increased to 12 even after a basal increase. With a 1.65 basal I went up to 9 about 5am but came Down to 5 by 7.30.

I increased to 1.75 on my Dsn’s advice and I literally hypoed all night last night! 3.0mmol when I woke this morning so I didn’t take my insulin in 30 minutes in advance like I usually do and 1hr later I’m 15mmol!!!

I seem to be going up after every meal now! But it’s difficult to get a pattern as I’ve had 2 Omnipod leakages with bolus doses in the past 3 days! When that happens and I go up to 15 it takes correction after correction (usually 8units at least plus a +95% temp basal) and hours to return to normal.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!! So frustrating! These last few days have just been terrible and I’m literally doing all I can!!!

Even my dsn is at a bit of a loss and says it’s down to my hormones which I know it is but it’s not much help!!!

I lost my son, Arlo a year and a half ago. So this is a very anxious pregnancy anyway!
Hello!

Sorry Tweety88, but can you please elaborate what you mean by saying your basal requirement changing from 0.25 to 1.65? Is it something to do with you being on a pump because I’m on injections and although I do understand insulin/carb ratios your figures have completely thrown me!

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It took me a while to get my head round when I changed too!!

I have 0.25 of a unit per hour from 00:00 to 02:00 and I’m still going hypo! Then at 02:00 it changes to 1.75 units per hour until 08:00 and I’m still rising about 5am briefly x x x