26.5 blood sugar reading

Bergkamp777

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's Christmas day just done my above reading what should I do. They are normally around the 8 mark

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Did you wash your hands before testing if not then test again after washing hands, if the same then follow above advice drink lots of water and exercise. Then test again.

Happy Christmas.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I thought it was dangerous to exercise with levels over 14mmol?
You could be right didn't think may be after testing again if it's not come down drink plenty of water then give it a while test yet again if situation not altered call 111 and ask for advice.

If exercising remember as we have been reminded strenuous exercise can raise BG so gently does it.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I've certainly be advised not to exercise when hyper, as strenuous activity might just send you higher. But I wouldn't have thought walking round the block or up and down the stairs quite counts as strenuous.

How do you treat your diabetes @Bergkamp777 ? Are you experiencing any troubling symptoms from hyperglycaemia? Remember 111 is available for advice on what to do if you are concerned - they will be around even on Christmas Day / boxing day.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Merry Christmas! Sorry to hear you got a high reading. That's the downside of living with diabetes, it doesn't care if it's christmas. I agree with others about calling for help if you need to. I don't think metformin would help much with a reading that high. I'm assuming you're saying you're on glipizide? If you are you may receive advice about altering the dosage of that to help get your sugar down today I'd imagine... but seek advice. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: Bergkamp777

samantha13

Yes, I've certainly be advised not to exercise when hyper, as strenuous activity might just send you higher. But I wouldn't have thought walking round the block or up and down the stairs quite counts as strenuous.

How do you treat your diabetes @Bergkamp777 ? Are you experiencing any troubling symptoms from hyperglycaemia? Remember 111 is available for advice on what to do if you are concerned - they will be around even on Christmas Day / boxing day.
I realise everyone is different and experiences hypers differently but if I had a bg of 26.5 getting off the sofa and walking to the bathroom would feel strenuous to me and I'd have awful chest pains. If I'm over 14mmol I take a correction dose and try to relax. It may not be the right thing to do but it works for me personally and i feel safer

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@samantha13 The difference is your muscles as a T1 are generally alive and awake to glucose and insulin. A T2s aren't until they start to use them so the OP really does need to go for a walk or go up and down the stairs but not too strenuous or you are correct that the levels can go up still. Hopefully @Bergkamp777 will be back to more normal levels this morning.

samantha13

@samantha13 The difference is your muscles as a T1 are generally alive and awake to glucose and insulin. A T2s aren't until they start to use them so the OP really does need to go for a walk or go up and down the stairs but not too strenuous or you are correct that the levels can go up still. Hopefully @Bergkamp777 will be back to more normal levels this morning.
Ah I see. Thanks for explaining I didn't realise that

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's ok we are all here to learn from each other and about each others condition which manifests itself in various differences (even among individuals) but have the same outcome of high BG levels and the complications that brings.