2nd trimester highs

dblil7677

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone :)

Could someone please help...I am a type 2 insulin and metformin dependent diabetic. I posted at the beginning of my pregnancy regarding high sugars and how to control them and thanks to the lovely replies have managed to stay at excellent numbers up until now. For some reason my sugars have gone completely out of sync. I am now nearly 15 weeks and the past few days my sugars have remained elevated both after eating and fasting. I have tried changing my insulin regime and it is as though I am not taking anything :( I have been completely exhausted the past few days and have barely slept due to pelvic pain and I also suffer with an auto immune condition that leaves me very fatigued. Is it possible that my body is releasing extra glucose to compensate for the lack of energy my body seems to have so therefore increasing my BM's? Has anyone else experienced this sudden rise in their sugars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@dblil7677 Stress from pain and lack of sleep could put your sugars up. Is it possible you have some kind of infection or virus? That could be another reason. Sometimes I have high sugars at the beginning of a cold before I get other symptoms.

It could also be the pregnancy. Insulin resistance does increase in the 2nd trimester, and it can do so quite suddenly.

Have you spoken to your DSN or doctor? What insulin are you on and how many times a day do you inject?

dblil7677

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@dblil7677 Stress from pain and lack of sleep could put your sugars up. Is it possible you have some kind of infection or virus? That could be another reason. Sometimes I have high sugars at the beginning of a cold before I get other symptoms.

It could also be the pregnancy. Insulin resistance does increase in the 2nd trimester, and it can do so quite suddenly.

Have you spoken to your DSN or doctor? What insulin are you on and how many times a day do you inject?

Hi Azure,

Thank you for your reply :)

I currently take Humalin I morning and night and novo rapid every time I eat, with snacks I am injecting 4-5 times a day as well as taking 4 lots of metformin daily.

I am thinking it is the tiredness that is causing it as it is definitely coinciding with the sleepless nights. I only saw my DSN and Consultant on Wednesday but everything was ok then but if it still remains high I will definitely contact them on Monday :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At least you have a suspicion what it might be - that's half the battle. I had lots of nights with disturbed sleep in pregnancy. I found trying not to get stressed (easier said than done!) helped the blood sugar. I either lay there or sat up and read or something. I tried not to get up as I think that makes my body assume it's morning and dump a load of glucose in my blood!

I have Type 1 so things may be different for you, but I always did a blood test around 2 or 2.30am. I could then eat if I was a bit low, or correct if high. I also had to do correction doses after some meals. I tested lots of times each day to keep my blood sugar as much in range as possible.

My insulin resistance increased a lot in the third trimester. It helped knowing in advance that was going to happen. If I noticed a pattern of highs, I'd watch for 2 or 3 days to make sure it wasn't just random, then adjust my insulin cautiously a tiny bit at a time until my results were better.