2nd week of training

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Into the second week of my me excercise program and think I'm finally nailing the insulin doses for different exercises. Mainly cycling, jogging and weights. Done the weights today stayed in range. Also, feeling the best since diagnosis, should of started off like this me thinks :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: 2nd week of training

No doubt about it exercise is so beneficial in controlling diabetes, getting the insulin dosing just right is a nightmare at first and even when you do get it just right the unexpected (hypo's) can happen.

I was recently given the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert, it's a clever little meter and it works out how much IOB you have and how much of a reduced dose you should take depending on the exercise, of course you have to enter all the information into the meter beforehand but it does save a lot of work.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

brett said:
Into the second week of my me excercise program and think I'm finally nailing the insulin doses for different exercises. Mainly cycling, jogging and weights. Done the weights today stayed in range. Also, feeling the best since diagnosis, should of started off like this me thinks :)

Well done brett I am missing my long walks, and a little cycling, I can't wait to getting back to being busy, out and about and more active. Even gardening, DIY and spring cleaning is good exercise. Enjoy :thumbup:

RRB :)

sw11bloke

Well done Brett.

Im type 1 currently on MDI. I have been training for at least 10 years with diabetes. It really does make a huge difference.
Im going onto the patch pump in a weeks time. My PCT only approved funding last week so pretty excited.

Do you reduced you basal rate pre gym and for a couple of hours post gym? Do you have a tubed pump or a patch pump?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi sw, have an accu chek combo pump with tubing. Congrats on getting the patch pump, I want one of them next lol. As for my basal I put that on temp stop for cardio approx 30 mins before, restart straight after cardio. Also have to think about bolus. If exercising relatively quickly after food, no bolus at all, and for my next meal after exercise I bolus 20% less. Weights are different. Keep basal on full, and bolus 80% if eating before, full bolus with next meal after weights. Either cardio or weights if exercising approx 2 hours after a meal may need a carby snack also depending on levels beforehand.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Forgot to say the combo pump handset can be pre programmed to automatically workout bolus amounts in the menu do dues all the calcs for you. The hard bit is figuring out the correct calculations for you to enter initially. One of them trial and error things

sw11bloke

I would have thought that the pump would have a wizard to caculate bolus and an option to enter excercise thereby reducing a bolus by 25%? My Accu Check Aviva expert blood glocometer does this for me.

I used to have a tubed pump...the medtronic. I struggled with places to wear it and where to put the actual pump itself. Eventually I had all my trousers configured with a special pocket. i hated sleeping with it and the tubing got caught far too many times.
Getting funding for the patch pump was a real fight. i had to get my MP involved - even though it only costs £100 more per year!!!!! I applied last November and after a few appeals, I was approved last week.
Its very much a post code lottery thesedays.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

yes, does have a wizard but you need to know the % rate that works for the excercise. Simply choose for example excercise 1 on the menu but is set at 30%. you have to find the right percent to enter for you so the bolus can calculate correctly.

sw11bloke

oh ok. currently 20% works for me. ill stick to that and see how it goes.
I find Im stable on weights but when I do cardio, my BG drops. I usually do my weights first then end off my session with about 10 to 15 mins of cardio. i know a few diabetics who train cardio with dextrose tablets.... theres a method to that.... to do with avoiding muscle breakdown. Glucose is stored as glycogen in the muscle and it gets used up pretty quick when doing cardio. Its all a bit too complex ..

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Haha, just a bit complex. Will have to try the dextrose/glucose tabs for cardio instead of reducing\missing insulin bolus, as my levels plummet with cardio also. might help keep the bit of muscle I've started to gain.

Adan Bailey

Exercise is best trick to controlling diabetes. I regularly got tricks and ideas from this forum to do my best efforts to control diabetes. Your training session is good and attractive to learn and participate information zone.

Scales Store

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hi brett ,
i was just looking on your profile , i notice that your hba1c was or is 6.1 isnt this a good reading , and your on nova rapid for that reading ?
my hba1c was 6.7 they told me to just diet controll it till next hbac1 test ,.
for 2 years i was borderline at 6.5 ,

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi sandy,
Last hba1c was 6.7, amended profile lol. Always use mobile version so never check that. Although from recent readings hoping next hba1c to be in the low 6s, must be due soon as not had one for a long time. Come to think of it not heard anything from any professional for a periods of time now.
Yeah using nova rapid on my pump :) (best thing ever)
Am very happy with my control but not long after diagnosis had all sorts of problems with excercise so at the time was easier not to do it, wrong I know. (mentally as well as physically) So, when I got my pump decided to get EVERYthing right first basal rates and bolus and started re introducing excercise a bit at a time, learning how to adjust basal, bolus. Still not fully up to speed on my old regime but definately getting there.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hi again
if your bs comes down lower wont they lower the nova ?
my hubby is on lanctus and nova rapid , he is now finally after 2 years controlling by diet , as i was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and trying with the low carbs ,,, hubbys used to be in the 14 15 17 ,,, now hes doing same as me his has come down to single figers , but the diabetic nurse said she might drop his insulin now hw is in single figs?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I do adjust my nova only when I know I will be exercising . If I dont excercise I keep my insulin the same. Just because you get a good hba1c level you don't reduce insulin because of that. Its the insulin making those good numbers. only if regular hypos are occurring would you reduce insulin amounts. Adjust as normal for carbs.