2yrs in. with type 1

Steve11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi
i have been with type 1 now for 2 yrs and have been getting really good results from my blood tests , an average of between 6-7
i test every hour most days and try to look after myself with diet ,i have an active job were im on the move a lot
however i have days where i loose control, and my sugars spike .
and then im in a battle to get them back under control , this can last all day -
it can be quite tricky
does anybody have this problem?
and what do you do to keep yourselves in a good range without yo yoing

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wlecome to the forum @Steve11 :)

Try and look for a reason why your bg spikes on some days and not others, is it a particular food that you've eaten, work related stress, missed bolus/basal injection or you've miscalculated the carb value of your meal, sometimes bg levels can spike for no obvious reason but if it happens quite frequent then there's usually a reason behind it.

Reactions: 2 people

Steve11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wlecome to the forum @Steve11 :)

Try and look for a reason why your bg spikes on some days and not others, is it a particular food that you've eaten, work related stress, missed bolus/basal injection or you've miscalculated the carb value of your meal, sometimes bg levels can spike for no obvious reason but if it happens quite frequent then there's usually a reason behind it.
Thanks for the tips noblehead, think its my background insulin and miss calculating carb intake... i do like my carbs LOL

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Welcome to the forum :D

I tend to just use Insulin and regular testing to stay in a good range :p

HarryType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow you test every hour, my diabetic nurse gave me a telling off because I said I tested 6-7 times a day when I'm at work! I do that because I have a physically active job and I often hypo at work and then I need to test before I drive too. My spikes are always on my days off sat/sun and usually last the entire weekend! I think it's whole meal bread that causes mine, I was under the impression whole meal was good but from reading other posts I'm eating the wrong stuff. Tbh I've even had a spike of 18 after a couple of weetabix too! Probably not helped you much but just thought I'd share, only a type1 since July, so still getting to grips with it all.