3 month check today HbA1c 6.9%down to 5.7%

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Had my first results since being diagnosed 3 months ago.

Nurse was very happy and does not want to see me for 12 months. Although I still need to have my eyes tested.( some symptoms but may be unrelated)

I am happy with the result however my maths head is a little disappointed. MySugr had me estimated at 5% based on the many daily checks I have made which was in line with the numbers I was seeing.

Still HbA1c of 5.7% is still really good and in the "normal" range so I will take that.

Cholesterol was also in a better range so another positive.

I will carry on with the LCHF way of life and hope for continued weight loss ( 3 stone so far) continued BG control without medication and in general more activity in my life to keep me moving and burning glucose/calories.

Thank you to everyone for your wisdom and advice so far.

All the best to everyone

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations, that is brilliant news. Well done. :)

It's almost impossible to estimate the HbA1c unless you test many, many times, every day, 24/7.

5.7% is equal to an average on your meter of 6.5mmol/l, so again, well done. :)

Reactions: Looseboy

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Had my first results since being diagnosed 3 months ago.

Nurse was very happy and does not want to see me for 12 months. Although I still need to have my eyes tested.( some symptoms but may be unrelated)

I am happy with the result however my maths head is a little disappointed. MySugr had me estimated at 5% based on the many daily checks I have made which was in line with the numbers I was seeing.

Still HbA1c of 5.7% is still really good and in the "normal" range so I will take that.

Cholesterol was also in a better range so another positive.

I will carry on with the LCHF way of life and hope for continued weight loss ( 3 stone so far) continued BG control without medication and in general more activity in my life to keep me moving and burning glucose/calories.

Thank you to everyone for your wisdom and advice so far.

All the best to everyone
Way to go!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent result! Well done!

Don't be disappointed, there are a few things that affect HbA1c a bit as well as blood glucose. It is a good indicator, but not totally accurate. I prefer to go by my home meter, which is also somewhat inaccurate, but it gives so much worthwhile information - trends, patterns, daily fluctuations, etc.

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Excellent result! Well done!

Don't be disappointed, there are a few things that affect HbA1c a bit as well as blood glucose. It is a good indicator, but not totally accurate. I prefer to go by my home meter, which is also somewhat inaccurate, but it gives so much worthwhile information - trends, patterns, daily fluctuations, etc.

Thanks @Brunneria I have read about the factors that can make HbA1c a little less reliable. I will continue with everything I am doing including eating to the meter. I know it is consistent despite the potential 15% swing so at least a baseline for me if it starts to shift either way.

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Congratulations, that is brilliant news. Well done. :)

It's almost impossible to estimate the HbA1c unless you test many, many times, every day, 24/7.

5.7% is equal to an average on your meter of 6.5mmol/l, so again, well done. :)

Cheers @Bluetit1802 good advice. Part of me thinks libre just to see the 24hr picture but not at this time

I will carry on with what has worked for the past 3 months.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done!

I use MySugr too - and my 3 month HbA1c was also 5.7%, compared to the MySugr estimate of around 5%. I imagined it was because I am missing some post meal spikes.

Reactions: Prem51 and Looseboy

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey you are doing great , maybe you can also have in mind that this first HbA1c probably is higher because you were very high initially and it is in the whole an average of the 3 last month , measuring how much glucose did bind to the red blood cells . Maybe the red blood cells do carry quite High levels from that first period , the red blood cells die and disapear after 3-4 month and next time your numbers will be much more fair to your great effort. I too was disapointed with my first 3 months test ,But since then mine has been great .... I do fear the next 3 months test because I have been cheating far too much lately

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well done!

I use MySugr too - and my 3 month HbA1c was also 5.7%, compared to the MySugr estimate of around 5%. I imagined it was because I am missing some post meal spikes.

Thanks @Polgara I will keep checking and logging and see how we go.
Although I don't have another HbA1c now for another year.

Reactions: Prem51

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey you are doing great , maybe you can also have in mind that this first HbA1c probably is higher because you were very high initially and it is in the whole an average of the 3 last month , measuring how much glucose did bind to the red blood cells . Maybe the red blood cells do carry quite High levels from that first period , the red blood cells die and disapear after 3-4 month and next time your numbers will be much more fair to your great effort. I too was disapointed with my first 3 months test ,But since then mine has been great .... I do fear the next 3 months test because I have been cheating far too much lately

Cheers @Freema I don't have another test for a year now but I will keep focus
Might actually do a thing through work in around 6 months which is a bit of a body MOT and they do the checks then
Something to work towards.

Reactions: Prem51