33 weeks + 5 days and still not being told much...

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!
I’m a type one diabetic, injecting.
I’m feeling more and more impatient now as I was hoping to start doing my birth plan or knowing what would be going on about how my little boy will be delivered, I had a consultant appointment last week and wasn’t told much. I was informed that baby is weighing 4lb 12oz but the doctor also told me she wouldn’t consider that big for a first baby...other then that I wasn’t told anything else...

Could anyone else tell me when they started to find things out such as starting the birth plan and that please...

Thank you, Moosh x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I never got to birth lan etc. She arrived before I finished antenatal classes or discussed it with the docs. Emergency induction due to pre-eclampsia and failing placenta.

adrian12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I didn't have much of a birth plan because unfortunately you don't get much choice. Is this your first baby? The way my delivery went was that my midwife booked me for induction at exactly 38 weeks. I was told to call the hospital on that day and find out if they had room for me to be induced then (I think in case they had too many emergencies). The induction is basically a pessary inserted (think small tampon type thing). You are then kept in hospital so they can check you regularly. You can leave the ward and walk around but they like you to stay on hospital grounds. I got contractions that first day but not regular and not strong so they said they'd try again the next day (still not allowed home and still monitored regularly). From there things moved forward and due to a few complications they'd rushed my contractions on and after trying to have my little boy naturally I had a c-section. You don't get much choice because you can't be on a midwife led ward. I can't remember if you can have a water birth but I think it depended on how many midwives they have free at the time but it's mostly a no because they are so busy on the high risk ward. Your main plan will be which painkillers you want to try (I ended up with all of them!). I hope your pregnancy all goes well and the birth runs smoothly. Be prepared to have a c-section, as far as I can make out it's about 50/50 natural or caesarian. I hope this helps, I felt totally unprepared as the midwives don't tell you anything really.

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!
I’m a type one diabetic, injecting.
I’m feeling more and more impatient now as I was hoping to start doing my birth plan or knowing what would be going on about how my little boy will be delivered, I had a consultant appointment last week and wasn’t told much. I was informed that baby is weighing 4lb 12oz but the doctor also told me she wouldn’t consider that big for a first baby...other then that I wasn’t told anything else...

Could anyone else tell me when they started to find things out such as starting the birth plan and that please...

Thank you, Moosh x
Things were very different 30 years ago when I had my first daughter, the I nsulin was terrible and I spent the first 6 months eating and hypo's. My daughter was delivered by cesarean at 37 weeks, my second daughter a year and two weeks later at 38 weeks cesarean again. Things are much better now, but demand answers from the midwife and doctors. The best advice is keep good control. Best wishes xxx

Trinnyco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Moosh, I’m a student midwife and also Type 1 so hopefully I can help a little. First of all congratulations on your pregnancy!! I dont have any kids myself so can’t comment on that side of things however the birth plan tends to happen around 36 weeks.
As others have mentioned it is likely the obstetrician will offer to induce you, usually at 38 weeks. This is your choice ultimately however the recommendation for this is usually due to the small risk of stillbirth due to the placenta not working well and also doctors are usually worried about the baby being too big (they may offer you a scan to estimate weight however this can be unreliable by 10% either way).
A lot of type 1s develop pre-eclampsia or other issues so may need to be induced earlier. Also depends on your blood sugars too.
It would be really great to have a think about pain relief options you would like, birthing positions, have a look into breathing exercises for coping (hypnobirthing), who you want as birth partners, whether you want skin to skin, whether you will be breastfeeding, whether you want baby to have vitamin K, etc.
It is generally recommended that you are on an insulin sliding scale drip during active labour too and they will recommended continuous monitoring of babys heartrate with the bands across your belly. Usually you will have a midwife appointment around 36 weeks to discuss birth plans. They can also talk through the potential induction process too. Some type 1s choose to have an caesarean however this can impact further pregnancies so its important to discuss this with the midwife or doctor. Sometimes a caesaerean may be necessary if the situation changes or the doctor recommends. You may not have all choices available dependent on the situation but there are still important choices that exist which can make it a really positive experience and make you feel in control! so dont be dismayed and have a read around the options!
Wish you the best of luck!! If you have any questions please let me know ☺️

Reactions: Diakat

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much! I’m getting more and more nervous now, this is my first baby and I’ve always been put off by having a baby because of the ending part I hate the thought of pain and everyone tells me that I’ll forget about everything once he’s here! My midwife said that they aim to get him out by 37 weeks. I have another growth scan on the 15th April so hopefully he isn’t too big! I’m only little

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my diagnosis for type1 was made when I was 12 weeks pregnant, so I spent the next 7 months trying to do the best things for my babies (I was also having twins) just relax your being scanned every 2 weeks I take it and what will be will be, thankfully both of my girls were head down from early on so at 31 weeks we went in with my contractions but the hospital put a stop to it with medication but a week later at exactly the same time I went in to hospital to have them (32 weeks) they were all good both good weights 4,3 & 4,7 so you will be fine.

Keep us posted xx

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

You need to get in touch with your midwife and get her to explain what will happen. Both my pregnancies I was closely monitored. First one I was induced at 38 weeks because it was the done thing. Second one they scanned me more frequently to monitor the weight and told me they'd let me go naturally assuming no complications. Baby was 7 weeks early but I was allowed to go at my bodies pace. Both times I had an insulin and glucose drip in and bloods were monitored constantly in the labour suite.

Due to being high risk delivery I found it easier to go with the flow. Have things that give you comfort but don't have a plane set in stone. If it doesn't happen it will just upset you.

Good luck x

Moosh97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
Spoke to my consultant today and she informed me that I will be given a date I will be induced in 2 weeks! I’m so nervous but so happy.