3rd person in my family has been diagnosed with type 1

willogs

Until 2 1/2 years ago no one in my family had diabetes, now me, and my 2 cousins have all been diagnosed with type 1. Me first (age 27) my cousin( age 24) and my older cousin (age 28). I find it amazing how quick it has happen. I did not think that type 1 ran in families. Has this happened to anyone else.

rach

Hey, just a thought but has it been considered that it might be MODY?
I was just struck by your signature that suggests you were diagnosed with gestational and it never went away, and are still honeymooning...
Not sure how much you know about MODY but some forms cause insulin deficiency (genetic problems with the beta cells) so the pancreas produces some insulin but not enough. Typical age of onset is 18-25. Young people often get diagnosed type 1 and put on insulin but have low demands (whereas sulphonylureas can be used instead in many...) have you had antibody tests done to confirm type 1? If they are positive perhaps it's just an unfortunate coincidence for you all - I know type 1 does have some genetic elements too...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My husbandis T1 and so was his grandmother

dietfizzy

as far as i am aware some people have a genetic predisposition to type 1 and they think ! that an enviromental trigger starts it all off. it does seem that something is going on. but im not sure at the moment you could prove its genetic or just bad luck x
the women in my family seem to have auto immune problems. mother has lupus sister has thyroid and i am type 1 though no one else in my family has had diabetes.

have any other member of your family had problems with auto immume disease ?

diet fizzy x

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi willogs,

We have another recently joined member, Orchid, who is type 1 and has 2 type 1 children, and type 1 in her extended family also.

All the best,

fergus

Orchid

Hi there

Just to let you know a bit about our family.

My Dad was diagnosed (aged 18) back in the 1950s with type 1. Since then, myself diagnosed aged 9, my brother age 9, my son age 9, my daugter age 9 and my neice (my brother's daughter) was diagnosed age 10. - That's 6 of us altogether.

When my daughter was diagnosed in April 2008 - the possibility of MODY was mentioned. I had blood tests done and they were sent down to Exeter University where the MODY diabetes research is being done. They tested for the gene mutation HNF1alpha and HNF4alpha - 2 of the MODY types.

I was really excitied about this as if they had found either of these gene mutations in my blood, there was a chance that the diabetes team would consider starting my daughter off on a sulphonylureas tablet - we had caught her very early and she was still producing much of her own insulin at that time. Unfortunately both the tests came back negative they did not find either of these gene mutations and therefore the team would only treat my daughter as a type 1 and she had to go on insulin.

It seems obvious to me that we must have some kind of genetic type of diabetes, but as yet it is not known. If anyone can shed any further light on this subject for me, I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards
Orchid

Trinkwasser

Some interesting stuff here

I know people from other families with a cluster of autoimmune diseases *including* Type 1.

There's something a bit strange going on, although Type 1 is still only about 10% of diabetics, and Type 2 is increasing, Type 1 is actually increasing at a faster rate, and in certain areas (Narfolk for one) so there is possibly some unknown environmental factor at work. I read that the biggest increase is in non-autoimmune Type 1 but not sure how accurate that is.

willogs

So its not just my family then. We don't seem to have other complications running through the family. I have had the anti body test when I was first diagnosed and it came back with type 1, thats why I am being treated with insulin. My other cousin, the youngest one has never honeymooned and we will have to see with my eldest one.

Trinkwasser

Orchid said:
Hi Trinkwasser

Can you advise me on what is non auto immune type 1 is?

Thanks
Orchid

Good question, I can't remember where I first read this. A search turned up some papers

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/cg ... /55/6/1895

http://adc.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/89/12/1138

More here

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?hl= ... a=N&tab=ws

Somewhere I read that this is actually increasing faster than the normal autoimmune type of Type 1, if I remember where I'll post it