3yr old type 1 starting nursery

hi
my daughter jazmin is 3 years old and although she has had diabetes since she was 10 months old she is due to start nursery in september!
To say i worried would be an understatment, I have had sole control of her diabetes for over 2 years and to hand it over to a stranger for 6 hours a day fills me with dread!
she does have some hypo awareness and can test her own blood with her machine but when she has severe hypo's she 'fits' although this has only happened a couple of times.
she is on novorapid at mealtimes (which the school will need to do at lunch) and glargine in the morning.
Im after as much advice as possible, the school dont have experience with diabetics and although i am putting her on packed lunches I always thought we would have been offered a pump by now! and wouldnt have to rely on the staff to inject her!
xx

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Gee - I go up and give Khaleb his lunch time injection. One of the staff members is keen to learn but I'm not about to hand insulin over any time soon. (BTW, I'm in Australia)

Does the nursery your going to have a nurse available or any trained staff?

I also prepared a specific Action Plan for any bsl under 5mmol and I keep a copy of this with his meter, in the class folder and another in a special hypo kit bag.

My hypo kit bag contains - fruit based puree food, glucogel, gluocose powder (Glucodin), spare syringes, glucogen injection, long life milk and a bottle.

I kept an expired glucogen hypo injection kit so all the staff could have a practice at preparing the solution. So far, the staff or I have never had to use this.

I've had a few problems when the regular staff have been away and at the beginning I found it difficult to get across to them that time is VERY important and meals cannot be delayed or missed.

I write down what time to do a bsl and give them a list of possible blood sugar levels and beside each I give a carbohydrate quantity to be given. This has been the only way I have found to keep Khaleb safe while I am not there as they seem to follow written instructions better than spoken.

Anyway, this is what i've done for what is available here. Hope this helps.

Jen

annettekp

Hi

My son isn't due to start nursery yet (thankfully!) but my friend's daughter is now 7. When she started nursery, staff were trained by the diabetic nurse who continues to go into school and update them regularly. She is now on a pump but initially my friend went into school every lunch to do the injections as she felt she had more control that way and could keep a check on what was happening.

The school are also very good at phoning to report 'funny' levels immediately but I think its all due to the persistance and training given by the nurse.

I can imagine how horribly hard it will be to hand over responsibility. Hopefully if you have plans for all situations in place it won't be as bad as you think it will.

Annette

thanks for your replies ladies!
the school has a nurse whom im sure is in 1 day a week but doesnt interact with the actual nursery :(
I am preparing myself to go in and do the injections myself, the staff have had some practical training ie: the general signs of hypos and things like that from jazmins diabetic nurse but as of yet no practical training has been given!
The nursery staff are very willing to learn, there is just soo much for them to learn!
Its just sooo scary! :cry:
I have 1 more appointment at the diabetic clinic before she starts school so Im just going to tell them how nervous I am, Jazmin cant wait to start nursery and I know she will absolutely love it!