4:4 blood reading.

Lillytan

Hi, this evening due to pain in my fingers I used my little finger to take my blood sample and had a reading of 4:4.
I had fasted all day and had a reading of 5:6 prior to eating dinner.
I’m now wondering if it makes a difference as to which finger you us to gain the blood sample as I’m confused as to why it was so low!

Bobbycoll

Hi, this evening due to pain in my fingers I used my little finger to take my blood sample and had a reading of 4:4.
I had fasted all day and had a reading of 5:6 prior to eating dinner.
I’m now wondering if it makes a difference as to which finger you us to gain the blood sample as I’m confused as to why it was so low!
I often find eating very low/no carb after fasting can lower my sugars, if I miss breakfast and have chicken on its own for dinner it will drop my sugars

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that different fingers produce different readings if taken consecutively, but it is not consistently one lower/one higher. Just part of the plus/minus leeway I suppose.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes it does make a difference but you may also take 2 readings of the same finger and get different results.

Personally, I have found that my left hand always seems to give higher glucose readings than my right hand. My thumbs, forefingers and middle fingers generally give lower readings than my index finger and little finger.