4 INJECTIONS

AITCH

Hi,

Just some advice please. I have just been told that I need to start injecting 4 times a day instead of 2 times which I've been on since mid Dec. So am stilly a newbie with all of this. Was on Novoimix 30 and now going on to Apidra and Lantus. Meeting with Diabetic Nurse Fri but am still bit worried about how it works out knowing amounts to take. Currently on 19 units in morn and 18 units in evening. My BS are still averaging around 8 but are well down from the 30's and 20's I was in before starting insulin. Also are there any side effects with these types of insulin ??

Any advice on what other questions to be asking Nurse.? Your help on this much appreciated as you can gues I'm very aprehensive about this. It seems so much to take in in such a short period of time.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aitch
Finding your dose with new insulin is always trial and error, hence the nurse will probably be cautious with the dose to begin with and then increase it. They may have guestimates for what doses you'll need based on your current doses, but everyone's different. E.g. most people going from Lantus to Levemir need an increase, whereas I needed a big reduction! No need to worry, but keep in touch with the nurse and don't be suprised if things go haywire for a week or two.

Your Lantus and Apidra should give you more control than the mix once you're settled on them, as you can adjust each independently. Also you can be more flexible with meals. The nurse will explain and help you learn to adjust the doses yourself.

As to side effects, well some people don't get on with Lantus but others thrive on it - as with most medicines. The only way to find out is to try. Do keep notes of any changes you notice after switching, even if they don't seem likely related to the insulin. (One that didn't agree with me caused a whole host of problems, some of which we didn't blame on the insulin until after I changed back and everything resolved.)