4 months since diagnosis back to pre-diabetes level

Schtompa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with t2 back to n June with a level of 66mmol. Weighed 125 kg. Have since taken up the LCHF diet with carbs around 100-120 g a day. Exercise a couple of days a week. 1 x metformin a day. Had my 3 month blood test and had a blood reading of 41mmol. Now weigh 112kg.
What do i do now? Obviously going to keep on the diet and exercise but can I stop the tablets? Is it possible the diagnosis in June was false and that it was a spike. Can t2 be reversed completely and go back to 'normal'?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, well done on your weight loss and lower blood sugars - a drop from 66 to 41 in 4 months is terrific.

Your diagnosis back in June of 66mmol wouldn't have been false or a spike. A spike lasts a relatively short time - an hour to 3 hours usually. The diagnostic test was an HbA1c, which measures your average blood sugar over the preceding 2 to 3 months. Normally on diagnosis you have 2 HbA1c tests close together, the second one to confirm the first, or a fasting blood glucose test. Did you have this?

I suggest the excellent reduction is down to your diet and weight loss, with a bit of help from the Metformin. If you wish to stop the Metformin have a word with your nurse/doctor first.

Reactions: Freema

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those results are impressive, well done! :)

You don't say if you still need to lose weight. If you do I would say stay on the metformin for a while as it helps with reducing insulin resistance and therefore makes the weight loss easier. As Bluetit1802 says your nurse or doc will be able to advise you on this.

Schtompa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks. I could always do with losing more. I want to be under 100 kg by Christmas.
I did have the two tests when first diagnosed. I was wandering if is possible to be a spike at the time. Never mind.
Going to see the gp in a couple of weeks to discuss.