4 year old newly diagnosed

naithan2004

hi my 4 yr old son naithan just got diagnosed before christmas. we are trying to follow hospital advice and we are slowly getting used to everything...

only now he has got a sore throat and tummy bug. he has been sick a couple of times and is pritty much refusing to eat. the only thing he has really eaten today was a bowl of ice cream, and then was sick within an hour. it is nearly 1 am and i have just tried to get him to have some juice and a biscuit which was a real battle and his bg is hovering at about 4.3. im scared about him having a hypo throughout the night as normally he is about 8-10 before he goes to bed. any advice on trying to get him to eat/drink throughout the night? he is not being sick all the time so i dont know if i should be calling the hospital, but i dont know how to keep his bg stable all night?

thanks vikki

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Vikki,
I just posted a reply to you on the Introductions forum. I do hope you are both okay this morning - please let us know!
Sue

JimmyD

Hi, how are you getting on? My daughter is nearly 5 and type 1, I would phone the hospitial for advice.
Please let us know how you are doing

sabrina

hi my son is 5 and he has been diagnosed for 3 years and he is at home at the mo recovering from stomach bug. i tend to stay up all night getting my son to sip coke and nibble a dry biscuit. unfortunantly its not always enough so always keep the nurses informed of how he is doing as they will decide whats best for him. my son was in hospital for 2 days because no matter what i did or how much coke he drank(1 litre in one day) he would not stay above 4.

smiley

i have a chest infection the now and am type 1 had it for 6 years. i wasent eating anything.
the best thing to do (I think.not sure if doctors agree lol :lol: ) well its what i do anyway is just keep testing bg and give him fruit juice its a pain but it works for me!!!!!!!
if your still not sure what to do i think you should call the doctor just to make sure!!! :D