SpaceChick

Re: diagnsed as diabetic im in shock anyone advise

Personally I wouldn't touch Canderel with a barge pole as it is Aspartame based (the nastiest of all the sweeteners).

Splenda (Sucrolose) or Stevia would be healthier alternatives.

Lia Jhone

Don't worry about that dear. One of my friend is also diabetic and do you know what is her age, just 23. You have to do some diet, that all. nothing to worry about that :)

shedlover111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Snap...........nearly

57 diagnosed in march with Type 1 and 17 stone..................Don't panic, it all seems too much to start with but sorry, you have to deal with it, treat it as a learning curve if you have the basics in place and are taking your medication you can build from there anything between 4 and 14 is passable 4 - 7 is ideal but you will get highs and lows initially but the more you have the less they will worry you just follow all the diet advise you are offered, I know its hard work initially but remember now you have diabetes you have an opportunity to loose weight exercise a bit more and possibly live a more healthy and longer life than you would have without the kick up the bum that diabetes gives one

Please let us know how you get on

pipwizard

Im realy strugling with diabetes I was never told it be like this im 42 was diagnosed 2 years still havent settled ... my dads been one for oooo 30 od years now he finds it ok his bloods are fab but mine vary from 8 to 21 yes 21 ive told my doc I think I need another tab in middle of day I take metformin and sitagliptin combinef one in morning one at night I just wish that I could stop thinking of food , I do exercise every day and loosing weight im still overweight but im getting there but just wish my bloods would go down oh im type 2. :sad:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mikey26847

It is a shock to be told by your doc that you are diabetic. I was 62 and weighed 125kg when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I wasn't prescribed any medication and was told to control the condition with diet and exercise. Get over the shock and get your life on track! Eat sensibly and get plenty of exercise.I lost 15kg in the next 12 months. I organise walks for diabetics where I live and a friend has started a support and self-help group for us. I am now 66 and still do not require any medication and I have never felt fitter and healthier in all my life. Good luck and good health to you.

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.

Hey,

That number is better than most of mine and I have been type 1 for 2 years!! It is a huge shock but it will be okay!
Learn what you need to learn and control it! Do not let it control you! Easier said than done I know!!

It is good that you have joined here, a lot of people can give you advice and support!!

**Cyber Hug**

Netty70

pipwizard said:
Im realy strugling with diabetes I was never told it be like this im 42 was diagnosed 2 years still havent settled ... my dads been one for oooo 30 od years now he finds it ok his bloods are fab but mine vary from 8 to 21 yes 21 ive told my doc I think I need another tab in middle of day I take metformin and sitagliptin combinef one in morning one at night I just wish that I could stop thinking of food , I do exercise every day and loosing weight im still overweight but im getting there but just wish my bloods would go down oh im type 2. :sad:

Know how you feel, if you haven't got one get a blood tester and test to see how food effects you it's not good for you to be that high
I currently take 4 metaformin and 1 gliprimide the gliprimide is great at bringing a high reading down which I was suffering with but it does cause hypos if your not careful
Good luck

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

HI ALL
WENT TO SEE THE DIABETIC NURSE YESTERDAY , WHICH BOUGHT ME DOWN IN MYSELF A LITTLE , AS U KNOW I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED A WEEK TODAY , AND I THOUGHT I WAS DOING FINE BY TAKING MY BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL ON MONITOR BEFORE FOOD AND 2 HOURS AFTER FOOD ,, I STARTED TO NOTICE WHAT FOOD I WAS EATING WAS TAKING ITS TIME TO CONVERT WHICH WAS WHOLEMEAL BROWN BREAD , BUT I WAS LEARNING AND MY READINGS WERE WITHIN RANGE,,
I TOOK MY READINGS TO THE NURSE ON MY FIRST VISIST , SHE DIDNT LOOK AT ANY OF THE READINGS AS SHE SAID THEY DONT USE THE BS MONITOR ANYMORE , JUST HBAC1 EVERY THREE MONTHS ?
I FELT AS THO I WASTED MY TIME , SHE GAVE ME A DIABETIC MAGAZINE SHE SAID I COULD EAT ANYTHING SMALL IN PORTIONS AND EVEN CHOCOLATE ,, WELL IM 17 ST AND IM TRYING NOT TO EAT ALL THE BAD FOOD , SO I DONT WANT TO BE TEMPTED WITH CHOCOLATE.
I DONT AGREE THAT NEW DIABETICS SHOULD NOT HAVE A BS METRE, AT LEAST WITH ONE THEY CAN MONITOR AND GET A GOOD IDEA HOW TO KEEP THE BLOOD DOWN , ,,,,,THEY SHOULD GIVE THE MONITORS BACK ,, WHAT DO I DO NOW HAVE TO WAIT AND EAT AND GO ALL HAYWIRE TO BE TOLD IN 3 MONTHS THAT MY HBAC1 IS HIGHER ????
NOT HAPPY BUNNY TODAY ,,,, DONT KNOW WHAT TO EAT ,,, THE FOOD IM EATING IS BORING HAAHHA

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I was 55 and was diagnosed with 7.2. Calm down! You have time to do something about it! Diagnosis is above 7 I believe so you are not way over the top. I was 14 stone. I managed to get my weight down to just over 12, and am getting some reasonable readings 6.2 on my last 3 month check. You will not be able to adjust straight away...just work on getting better at what you eat and drink. It does take a while! It took me a year to get into some sort of order! Good luck and don't panic!

DiabeticDan

Don't be upset about Diabetes, I've said before in another post that the only way to positively look at diabetes is that it is an inconvenience. It does not rule you or own you unless you let it. The thought of having to take pills, or depending on the type of diabetes you have, injections is scary at first. But let me promise you that compared to how you were feeling before, (high sugars, going to the toilet all the time, itchy balls/va-jay-jay, unknown weight loss e.t.c.) you are about to feel a whole lot better!! Before I was diagnosed -in retrospect- I hardly knew where I was, i was confused so much more than i realized and i could drink all day long without any quenching!!! It was only once I was on the insulin and my sugars went downwards that I realized just how ill i was, and that was a humbling experience.

The most important thing is that it does get better. We are not made of glass and our bodies CAN handle it as long as we help ourselves along the way.

I hope you feel slightly better after reading this. If you have any questions at all then let us know. The community here is excellent and will support you through it all.

Dan

P.S. Just read your last post sandy. The blood meters are for you to ensure that you are keeping on track and plan ahead diet wise. They can provide an excellent indicator as to how you are doing. The HbA1C is a test which give a value of how your overall blood sugars have been (blood cells live for about 2-3 months, which is why it is done in 3 month intervals). The use of a BG meter is that you can track how your sugars are at different times of the day and to simply see if the treatment you are on is effective. The one issue i always raise with my nurse is that a HbA1C is an average. So if you're sugars are 5.0 for 6 hours a day, 7.0 for another 6 hours a day and 12.0 for 12 hours a day then the average is 9.0 which is a high-ish sugar, but not entirely representative of the true value on a day to day basis. By using your BM you know where your spikes and falls are and can modify your treatment to solve that. So yes it is important to measure your blood sugars.

Diabetes is an ever changing condition. What works one year will not work the next. By keeping track of your sugars with a BM will help you immensly.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hi diabetic dan ,,
well when I asked my doc today abouth the gluocose monitor she sor of shouted at me and said , " we don't bother with meters now , we don't want to know about your blood levels , we test it every 3 months , so I said to her well cant I do it for my own satisfaction ,, she replied you will drive yourself nuts , and its not a true reading ,,, if I prick my finger it gives me a reading , but if I prick another finger , it gives me a different reading ,,,, the doc said, just eat normal healthy food a bit of everything and exercise,,,, , IM NOT ON ANY MEDS YET!! MY HBA1C WAS 6.7 ,, I BELEIVE THE NORMAL LEVEL IS 6.5...............MY DOC ALSO SAID TO ME ABOUT GOING ON A STATIN FOR CHOLESTRAL AS THEY LIKE TO GET IT DOWN EVEN LOWER ,, AT MOMENT MY CHOLESTRALL IS FINE AND IF I LOOSE A LOT OF WEIGHT MY BLOOD HOPEFULLY WILL BE FINE I SAID NO TO THE STATIN SHE SAID OK THEN WE EILL TALK AGAIN AFTER YOUR NEXT HBA1C.....TO BE HONEST I HAVE BEEN CRYING ALL DAY AND ITS GETTING ME DOWN

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

HI ALL
WENT TO SEE THE DIABETIC NURSE YESTERDAY , WHICH BOUGHT ME DOWN IN MYSELF A LITTLE , AS U KNOW I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED A WEEK TODAY , AND I THOUGHT I WAS DOING FINE BY TAKING MY BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL ON MONITOR BEFORE FOOD AND 2 HOURS AFTER FOOD ,, I STARTED TO NOTICE WHAT FOOD I WAS EATING WAS TAKING ITS TIME TO CONVERT WHICH WAS WHOLEMEAL BROWN BREAD , BUT I WAS LEARNING AND MY READINGS WERE WITHIN RANGE,,
I TOOK MY READINGS TO THE NURSE ON MY FIRST VISIST , SHE DIDNT LOOK AT ANY OF THE READINGS AS SHE SAID THEY DONT USE THE BS MONITOR ANYMORE , JUST HBAC1 EVERY THREE MONTHS ?
I FELT AS THO I WASTED MY TIME , SHE GAVE ME A DIABETIC MAGAZINE SHE SAID I COULD EAT ANYTHING SMALL IN PORTIONS AND EVEN CHOCOLATE ,, WELL IM 17 ST AND IM TRYING NOT TO EAT ALL THE BAD FOOD , SO I DONT WANT TO BE TEMPTED WITH CHOCOLATE.
I DONT AGREE THAT NEW DIABETICS SHOULD NOT HAVE A BS METRE, AT LEAST WITH ONE THEY CAN MONITOR AND GET A GOOD IDEA HOW TO KEEP THE BLOOD DOWN , ,,,,,THEY SHOULD GIVE THE MONITORS BACK ,, WHAT DO I DO NOW HAVE TO WAIT AND EAT AND GO ALL HAYWIRE TO BE TOLD IN 3 MONTHS THAT MY HBAC1 IS HIGHER ????
NOT HAPPY BUNNY TODAY ,,,, DONT KNOW WHAT TO EAT ,,, THE FOOD IM EATING IS BORING HAAHHA

DiabeticDan

Hey Sandy

If you are on diet control only then keep up the good work. Perhaps for diet only the range of blood glucose is small and a meter could cause you to be too obsessive with your sugars. If you are on diet only then your chances of a very high or very low sugars must be lower. Be careful with too many carbs. Eat good food and exercise. I don't know how good this advice is but I have heard that the paleo diet is very good for low carb type 2 diet.

Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck.

Dan

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

thankyou diabetic dan :thumbup: you take care too

Biker Jimbo

Hi Sandysan, I just picked up your post. Diabetes is a bit complicated at the start and all those scare stories are really just that but you do have to take them seriously. I don't mean to be rude but you are now on a journey where you have to monitor, what you eat, your blood glucose and take exercise. You are probably what they call Type 2 which is controlled by diet and possibly drugs (metformin, gliclazide or similar). However I was a bit like you and was misdiagnosed as Type 2 when if fact I am type 1. The main difference is I take insulin which is a better thing, I have found, because I can control what amount of insulin I take in relation to what I eat and what I am doing. It may sound easy but it is a balancing act. May I suggest you research the condition, before you see a health professional make a list of questions/concerns you have and write down their replies because you will be in a bit of a turmoil and will forget things/miss what they say to you...and if you don't understand anything TELL THEM. You will become an expert in time. Because you are on this forum contact Diabetes UK and ask them for information, they helped me immensely at the beginning. To be honest just over 10 years ago, when I was diagnosed at 53 I felt my life was over...it isn't it just means we have to change things. I wish you well for the future and welcome to the club. :thumbup: Jim

C burns

I used to take sugar in my coffee and drink full fat urn bru. By switching to healthier alternatives its manageable. I now use sweetners in my coffee, drink sugar free drinks, I still hav 1 treat everyday. I used to drink a lot of smoothies and fresh fruit but the dietician advised me to eat fresh fruit instead as our bodies can break down the sugar easier. Hpe this helps. Gd luck x

C burns

sandysan said:
HI ALL

I work full time n find that I dnt snack on rubbish if I have lunch prepared. I alternate my lunches between home made soups, cous cous, salads, etc. if u lyk cous cous I find that making it with flavoured stock and adding veg, herbs n chopped tomatoes is a nice wee treat. I also make 2 or 3 different pots of soup on a sun n freeze them in portions.

pipwizard

Netty70 said:
pipwizard said:

Know how you feel, if you haven't got one get a blood tester and test to see how food effects you it's not good for you to be that high
I currently take 4 metaformin and 1 gliprimide the gliprimide is great at bringing a high reading down which I was suffering with but it does cause hypos if your not careful
Good luck

have to say Hun it's going down but not quick enough lol but I go in for all the free testers but you try getting it from the docs impossible

Netty70

pipwizard said:
Netty70 said:
pipwizard said:

Good luck

have to say Hun it's going down but not quick enough lol but I go in for all the free testers but you try getting it from the docs impossible

Guess I was lucky my DN gave me one no hassle