48 ......what?

MarkArt63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ive been diagnosed Type 2 by my gp hes stuck me on 500mg of metformin twice daily. Is that good or bad ? And whats the 48 measurement relate to ....im a bit in shock to be honest and pretty clueless as to the whole thing. Going for an eye test on Friday organised by the nurse. I've also just purchased a blood glucose meter so when and how often please. Cheers for any help.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50shades - Copy.png
I would guess that the 48 is your HbA1c which is a value of what you average blood glucose has been for the last 3-4 month, it is measured by measuring the red-blood cells looking specifically at how many glucose molecyles have connected to them over this period (the life of red blood cells is around 3 month)

here is a scheme where you can relate your number to , note that only the green area is the non diabetic and normal area.. so a normal HbA1c would be anything under 38 ....

Reactions: MarkArt63 and dbr10

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ive been diagnosed Type 2 by my gp hes stuck me on 500mg of metformin twice daily. Is that good or bad ? And whats the 48 measurement relate to ....im a bit in shock to be honest and pretty clueless as to the whole thing. Going for an eye test on Friday organised by the nurse. I've also just purchased a blood glucose meter so when and how often please. Cheers for any help.
Aw Mark, all I can say is buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride! Seriously the advice & info you get from these lovely people will be invaluable.

Reactions: MarkArt63 and dbr10

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
most in this forum gain total control by doing the low carb high fat eating style = LCHF,

by going under 150 grams of carbs a day in total , most can get back to normal blood glucose levels, some need to go even futher..
It takes to learn which food choices are ideal and which to avoid totally... many end up loving this eating style , and stop missing their old kind of foods..note that htere are also an abundance of great tasty treats one can make and eat and still stay in normal blood glucose area ..

here a link to some keto-recipes which are the best kinds of foods to a type 2 diabetic

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/category/Recipes?page=1

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkArt63

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You can request a print out of all your blood test results (HbA1c is unlikely to have been the only test done on one blood draw) or if you have online access to your patient records your results will be there.

Welcome to the forum. An HbA1c of 48 is dead on for Type 2 Diabetes (under 42 is non Diabetic, 42 to 47 is Pre Diabetic and 48 or above is Type 2 Diabetes) but as the test is an average calculated over the previous 8-12 weeks then you could consider yourself borderline T2.

There is a lot you can do to mitigate this, a change in lifestyle could easily do it. Metformin is considered a safe drug but a lot of people suffer uncomfortable side effects which are usually temporary but some people just can't tolerate it at all.

My personal advice would be to make some changes to your diet and excercise regime and think of holding off on the Metformin until your next review but the decision is and must be your own.

Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As the others have said, you are borderline Type 2. Just over the border.
You really need your print outs (or on-line access if you are in England) as you need to know all the test results. Cholesterol, liver and kidney functions, and full blood counts are very important for us. It isn't just glucose that matters. If you don't understand what they mean, all you have to do is ask on here.

I am very surprised your GP put you on medication so soon. With borderline HbA1c there is normally a follow up test about a week or two later to confirm matters, and then a 3 month grace for you to try and lower your numbers without medication but by lifestyle changes. Hey ho. Another pill pushing doctor.

As for your meter - well done on getting one. It will become your best friend.

The general initial rules for testing are to test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite, and look at the difference between the before and after levels. These are the most important when you are first starting. The idea is to keep any rise down below 2mmol/l and preferably less. If it is above 2mmol/l there are definitely too many carbs in that meal. Use this alongside a food diary that includes portion sizes and look out for patterns emerging that show you what your danger foods are, and also what your safe foods are. If you like, you can post on here with your numbers and food, and we can help.

Tagging @daisy1 who will come along with some valuable information for newcomers.

MarkArt63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can request a print out of all your blood test results (HbA1c is unlikely to have been the only test done on one blood draw) or if you have online access to your patient records your results will be there.

Welcome to the forum. An HbA1c of 48 is dead on for Type 2 Diabetes (under 42 is non Diabetic, 42 to 47 is Pre Diabetic and 48 or above is Type 2 Diabetes) but as the test is an average calculated over the previous 8-12 weeks then you could consider yourself borderline T2.

There is a lot you can do to mitigate this, a change in lifestyle could easily do it. Metformin is considered a safe drug but a lot of people suffer uncomfortable side effects which are usually temporary but some people just can't tolerate it at all.

My personal advice would be to make some changes to your diet and excercise regime and think of holding off on the Metformin until your next review but the decision is and must be your own.

Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.
Cheers haha just played with my glucose meter got an 8.1 mmol 2 hours after lunch .......i dont even know what that means lol

MarkArt63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the others have said, you are borderline Type 2. Just over the border.
You really need your print outs (or on-line access if you are in England) as you need to know all the test results. Cholesterol, liver and kidney functions, and full blood counts are very important for us. It isn't just glucose that matters. If you don't understand what they mean, all you have to do is ask on here.

I am very surprised your GP put you on medication so soon. With borderline HbA1c there is normally a follow up test about a week or two later to confirm matters, and then a 3 month grace for you to try and lower your numbers without medication but by lifestyle changes. Hey ho. Another pill pushing doctor.

As for your meter - well done on getting one. It will become your best friend.

The general initial rules for testing are to test immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite, and look at the difference between the before and after levels. These are the most important when you are first starting. The idea is to keep any rise down below 2mmol/l and preferably less. If it is above 2mmol/l there are definitely too many carbs in that meal. Use this alongside a food diary that includes portion sizes and look out for patterns emerging that show you what your danger foods are, and also what your safe foods are. If you like, you can post on here with your numbers and food, and we can help.

Tagging @daisy1 who will come along with some valuable information for newcomers.
Great stuff cheers very helpful.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

MarkArt63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
most in this forum gain total control by doing the low carb high fat eating style = LCHF,

by going under 150 grams of carbs a day in total , most can get back to normal blood glucose levels, some needs to go even futher..
It takes to learn which food choices are ideal and which to avoid totally... many end up loving this eating style , and stop missing their old kind of foods..note that htere are also an abundance of great tasty treats one can make and eat and still stay in normal blood glucose area ..

here a link to some keto-recipes which are the best kinds of foods to a type 2 diabetic

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/category/Recipes?page=1
great ...my wife is a chef and shes already cooked me a low carb high fat meal she'll keep me on the straight and narow regarding that........don't know about alcohol though tried a gluten free beer the other night , quite nice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
great ...my wife is a chef and shes already cooked me a low carb high fat meal she'll keep me on the straight and narow regarding that........don't know about alcohol though tried a gluten free beer the other night , quite nice.

Perhaps best to stay clear of beer for now. Red wine and most spirits (with sugar free mixers) are fine.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cheers haha just played with my glucose meter got an 8.1 mmol 2 hours after lunch .......i dont even know what that means lol

Best to start with a fasting reading. A fasting reading should be taken as soon after you wake in the morning and before you get ready for your day. You then take a reading before your first bite of a meal (pre prandial) and then again 2 hours after your first bite (post prandial) the difference between these two readings should be no more than 2mmol preferably less.

As you learn which foods (the ones with carbohydrates in them) provoke a 'spike' of more than 2mmol you can see which are your 'safe' foods or meals and which you need to cut down or avoid altogether.

The foods that are the usual culprits are those high in carbohydrates such as breads, anything made with white flour, rice, pasta and potatoes. Some people can get away with smaller portions of these, other people can't so this is why we test using the glucometer to find our own tolerance levels.

FYI when testing make sure your hands are well wahed and dried as contaminants can affect the readings. Good job on getting a glucometer btw.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I forgot the biggest baddie of all. Table sugar, cut down on it and then cut it out completely. All sugars, and this includes honey, fructose, lactose etc raise the blood glucose levels so we must learn how to read the labels on food packaging to avoid these as much as we can or lower them to personal tolerance levels.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

beer is no-go , but a clean whisky is fine or a glass of red wine once in a while, just remember to count the carbs in it too into the total number of grams of carbs

MarkArt63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot the biggest baddie of all. Table sugar, cut down on it and then cut it out completely. All sugars, and this includes honey, fructose, lactose etc raise the blood glucose levels so we must learn how to read the labels on food packaging to avoid these as much as we can or lower them to personal tolerance levels.
Thanks for that also. Im not a big sugar fan anyway and dont eat much processed food at all really.

Reactions: Guzzler

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Mark,

How are you feeling?

We're all here to help, as your new 'family' and community.

I was diagnosed with a very high HBA1c of 85 last Sept 2017 and I am now down to 38. My doctor said I am now in 'remission' so it can be done.

Hope this helps -
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Any questions, please send your message...

Andrew

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mark,

How are you feeling?

We're all here to help, as your new 'family' and community.

I was diagnosed with a very high HBA1c of 85 last Sept 2017 and I am now down to 38. My doctor said I am now in 'remission' so it can be done.

Hope this helps -
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Any questions, private message me...

Andrew

If he has any questions, surely it is better he asks on the open forum so he can receive a good balance of replies?

Reactions: dbr10 and NewTD2