4th urine infection!

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I'm on my 4th urine infection in 4 months. Although, you could technically call this 3 part 2, since I was on antibiotics last week, and I'm not convinced it ever went away, especially since the GP gave me the same antibiotics as I had last time, about four weeks ago. I also think that this one *might* have spread to my kidneys, based on the fact that I have pain there, nausea, and my temperature is up and down. Is this right? I know diabetes makes you prone to them, but I've only ever had one before, and now it is basically one every three to four weeks. Am I just going through a bad patch, or should I be concerned that something else is going on?

Reactions: Keesha

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like the real deal. What did the culture and sensitivity of the last one show? What antibiotic were you/are you on? The thing you want to know is: what was the bacterial organism that grew out in the culture, AND what antibiotic(s) was it sensitive to. And did you take one of those antibiotics.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I'm on my 4th urine infection in 4 months. Although, you could technically call this 3 part 2, since I was on antibiotics last week, and I'm not convinced it ever went away, especially since the GP gave me the same antibiotics as I had last time, about four weeks ago. I also think that this one *might* have spread to my kidneys, based on the fact that I have pain there, nausea, and my temperature is up and down. Is this right? I know diabetes makes you prone to them, but I've only ever had one before, and now it is basically one every three to four weeks. Am I just going through a bad patch, or should I be concerned that something else is going on?

EllsKBells, have you given a urine sample to go to the lab, as opposed to a dip test in the surgery? A lab result can allow the Doc to match the meds more accurately to the pesky bugs.

A UTI is unpleasant enough once, without several repeat performances. I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: EllsKBells

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know. I'd call your doctor. A kidney infection, if you have one, should not be ignored. Let us know what happens.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TheBigNewt @AndBreathe the first two times they sent samples off, but the last time they didn't, because they didn't want to keep sending them off when it probably wasn't going to tell them anything different. They will probably have to send another one off now, I guess. They didn't tell me anything specific, just 'general bacteria'.

Going to ring the surgery in the morning to try and get an appointment.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you definitely need to see a doctor... kidney infection is bad....

first of all do what the doctor tells you to do and take of medication and drink a lot of pure water maybe drink water that has been boiled first and then cooled down in the fridge... so you are sure not to add anymore bacterias to your infections, and then also wash hands very thoroughly and decinfect all things you handle...

you can try some of these advices if you do not have and adding kidney infection :
http://www.rapidhomeremedies.com/6-amazing-remedies-prevent-urinary-tract-infection.html

Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah it sounds like the bacterial infection was never eradicated, the bacteria just stayed around and maybe now have migrated up the ureter to the kidney. And I'm not buying that diabetics are more prone to them either. Most of you don't run around with sugar in your urine all the time anyway. Yes females are more prone as their urethras are much shorter. Here the most common antibiotics are Septra/Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole'trimethoprim, a sulfa drug), and Ciprofloxacin. UTI's are almost always from gram negative bacteria, not gram positives like strep and staph.