DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
This is only my second time on writing to the forum although I have been an uncontrolled diabetic since a cancer treatment in 2002.
Because I am not on Insulin I am told continually by various diabetic nurses that I should not be testing my blood glucose.
However, my GP has been supportive in this and I have a monitor and usually test just once a week. This gives me some idea of how my sugars are 'behaving' and gives me peace of mind.
A couple of years ago I started waking up feeling very strange in the early hours. After a few sessions of this I began testing my blood when I woke and was found to be encountering 'dawn phenomenon'. I would not have been able to have confirmed this had I not been able to test at this time.
I go into hospital regularly twice yearly and on one visit I suffered a hypo - the first I've had. 11.3 down to 3.8. I don't know why this happened and it was my son who pointed out to ward staff when he visited that I was making even less sense than normal ! I was on Bydureon at the time and was not expecting to drop so low.
I am now taking Sitagliptin (Januvia) and have just started on Empagliflozin (Jardience). Does anyone have any tips for the Jardience please ? I shall be back off to hospital next week. One diabetic nurse has said to continue with it as normal and another has sent me information that says it is best to stop taking it when in hospital for a week or so.
Thanks for your anticipated advice.
Alison

Alison, I don't have any experience of the meds you are taking, nor really have a clue whether you should continue to take them or not during your hospital stay. It sounds like you need to contact the nurse recommending a change of course, and ask her to explain her reasoning, so that you can be comfortable with it, or debate against it.

Good luck with your hospital stay. It can't be easy having to go in every few months.