600 Cal diet

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the Newcastle diet can anyone recommend suitable drinks and soups?

thanks

b

Hi Bob - I haven't done the Newcastle Diet myself, but my colleague @Pipp did a cycle relatively recently, so hopefully she might have some suggestions.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @BobMcG
It is not clear whether you are asking for meal replacement drinks and recipes for soups made from the vegetable allowance, or are you intending to use real food for a very low calorie diet, 600 calories? There is some variation in definition of what comprises a 'Newcastle diet'.

I have used various methods that could fall into the category. The 600 calorie version was in 2011, when, under medical supervision, and support, I used Lipotrim products. These were only available at a pharmacy, and part of the deal was that the pharmacist monitored weight loss, ketones and blood pressure on a weekly basis. At the time, not vegetables or oil were recommended, hence the total consumption was 600 cals a day.

Since then, I have occasionally used Shake That Weight meal replacements. That company is introducing new products all the time, and I believe they now include soups and snacks. Usually 800 calories.

More recently I have used real food but kept to around 800 calories, and /or one meal a day with fasting intermittently.

I would always caution anyone thinking of trying the Newcastle Very Low Calorie method to read and plan first.
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwncla...ecentre/files/2018 Diabetes reversal info.pdf

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
On the Newcastle diet can anyone recommend suitable drinks and soups?

thanks

b
If you are seriously considering a 600 calorie a day diet then I can tell you from experience it is possible I did it for a lot longer than eight weeks in fact longer than eight months 18 months to be exact. And yes I lost approximately 8.5 St.

But and it is a big but no pun intended along with the fat went a good proportion of my muscle mass which I have as yet to recover. So please do not make my mistake take proper medical advise before embarking on such a journey.

I have to admit that is what I neglected to do but now wish I had.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't know you had your ketones monitored.. did you manage to get into ketosis whilst on Lipotrim?
Yes. Mild ketosis, measured with ketostix. It was a condition of remaining on the Lipotrim at that time. If I hadn't been in ketosis it would have been deemed that I was 'cheating' as Lipotrim was a total food replacement diet, and would not be allowed to continue. This was 7 years ago. Don't know if it still is the same.
If you are seriously considering a 600 calorie a day diet then I can tell you from experience it is possible I did it for a lot longer than eight weeks in fact longer than eight months 18 months to be exact. And yes I lost approximately 8.5 St.

But and it is a big but no pun intended along with the fat went a good proportion of my muscle mass which I have as yet to recover. So please do not make my mistake take proper medical advise before embarking on such a journey.

I have to admit that is what I neglected to do but now wish I had.

Thank you for mentioning this, @JohnEGreen. Lots to consider, especially if there are other medical conditions. Age too. I would add that during the Lipotrim diet I was exercising for up to 8 x1 hour sessions aquafit each week. Also some resistance training with hand held weights.
One thing I wasn't told was that oil added to vegetables helps prevent the growth of gallstones.
I repeat @JohnEGreen 's advice..... Medical supervision. Get GP onboard, make sure you have all the info yourself, choose a suitable time when you won't be distracted by celebrations such as birthdays, weddings, Christmas parties, and make sure your nearest and dearest understand and support your efforts.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting.. can't see what Lipotrim is comprised of from their website..but they claim low carb...
I haven't used their stuff since 2011, but maybe have some of the literature from then buried somewhere. Possibly lost forever, though. I remember the liquid stuff being very bland, but palatable, and the 'flapjacks' tasted marmiteish with the texture of a cork coaster. :spitoutdummy: Nonetheless, I regarded it as 'medicine' and saw excellent results that, as far as weightloss and BG levels were concerned was more than I had anticipated.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting.. can't see what Lipotrim is comprised of from their website..but they claim low carb...

Found this on website:
image.png

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll tip my hat I couldn't find it.. thanks... so still relatively high carb then..
Why do they call it lipo trim I wonder when it only has 5% fat and that from palm oil..
Agree with you about the palm oil. Also the synthetic ingredients are hardly my ideal choice of nutrition. As for the carb content, although the powders are 40% carb, the total daily carb intake is 43g for women and just under 60g for men. I would say that is low carb, though not in keto range.

However, it is not meant to be a long term eating plan. I think I have mentioned before, I regarded it more as an intervention treatment for a medical problem I have not as yet found a full solution to. I really would be delighted to have the same sort of successes many have reported in forum, by other methods. To date the most successful for me has been Lipotrim. I don't try to persuade others it is right for them, but will give info on my own experience if requested. We each have to find our own solutions to our unique circumstances. I do advocate researching and applying info to one's own needs.

I don't know why the company came up with the name Lipotrim for the product. I hazard a guess that it means 'trimming away fat'. Whether that be from nutritional intake, or from the body of the person consuming the product is open to interpretation.