70-year-old line dancing for diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

A pensioner with type 2 diabetes is dancing her way to meet a major step challenge to help raise money and awareness for the condition. Lynn Matthews, from Senghenydd, is taking part in Diabetes UK Cymru's One Million Steps Challenge. The 70-year-old, who has been line dancing for 23 years, has been using her favourite form of dance to take more than 10,000 steps a day. Speaking to ITV, she said: "I've always loved country music, so I went to the first lesson and from then on I was hooked on it." So far, Lynn has raised £700 for the charity and plans to keep on fundraising and campaigning for awareness of the condition. Lynn, who normally line dances three times a week, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2001 after she visited her GP. She said: "I had to give a water sample and when I gave my water sample the nurse asked me how long I'd been diabetic and I said I'm not, she said, 'Oh I think you are'. "So obviously I had to go for the tests and when the tests came back they said I'd actually been diabetic at least 10 to 15 years before I was diagnosed but didn't realise." Joseph Cuff, Fundraising Manager, Diabetes UK Cymru, said: "We're really grateful to Lynn for taking on this year's One Million Step Challenge in such a fun and creative way. It's fantastic to see she is already well on her way to her one million total! "You can take on the challenge alone or get your family, friends and colleagues involved. You can walk it, jog it or, like Lynn, dance it. The money you raise while you do it will fund our fight for a world where diabetes can do no harm." Picture credit: ITV Cymru Wales

Continue reading...