780g medtronic pump

james555

Just looking for advice from someone that is using the 780g pump for a while using the guardian 3 how are the finding the in range data as I am due to go on the 780g soon I am on a 640g pump and find it very good at the moment just my concern is it worth changing over to the new pump or stay with the 640g

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi James,
I started the 780G on the 7th of January. Ive had a few issues with the guardian 3 cgm, but the pump itself & the automode function is absolutely amazing. Time in range is typically 90-95% every 24hrs. A1C was 83 before starting the pump & Carelink is predicting a A1C of 49 (6.7%). Auto mode while asleep is outstanding, since starting ive never been out of range during the night as the pump micro basal & gives auto corective bolus every 5 minutes to keep sugars in range. I can even have a takeaway on a weekend & not worry, I give a rough bolus & then if I have under estimated the pump will correct if I start to go high. Make the switch, you'll love it

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad t
Hi James,
I started the 780G on the 7th of January. Ive had a few issues with the guardian 3 cgm, but the pump itself & the automode function is absolutely amazing. Time in range is typically 90-95% every 24hrs. A1C was 83 before starting the pump & Carelink is predicting a A1C of 49 (6.7%). Auto mode while asleep is outstanding, since starting ive never been out of range during the night as the pump micro basal & gives auto corective bolus every 5 minutes to keep sugars in range. I can even have a takeaway on a weekend & not worry, I give a rough bolus & then if I have under estimated the pump will correct if I start to go high. Make the switch, you'll love it
Glad to see you have got over all your problems Marco and everything is working well now, I have looked on the French forum and they seem to say problems at the start are normal

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any issues getting phone readings using the 780g and guardian 3

Minimed mobile app works great, only thing I don’t like is you can not force close the app. Once you do that it automatically logs you out & deletes the Bluetooth pairing. I don’t use the app because of this, I have a habit of quickly force closing all the apps I have open so I could be repairing the pump 3/4 times a day. Would be great if that didn’t happen but unfortunately that’s the way it is

james555

Hi maco can you tell me in auto mode how high have your sugars got and when high have you still a option to give a correction bolus or do you just wait for the auto mode to sort it out many thanks

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi maco can you tell me in auto mode how high have your sugars got and when high have you still a option to give a correction bolus or do you just wait for the auto mode to sort it out many thanks

Only time ive been high is when I go to the gym lifting heavy weights, highest ive been in auto mode was 15.7 I think it was. Today for example im 99% in range with an average reading of 6.3mmol. Correction bolus can be a strange one, unless you enter 'fake carbs' for the correction bolus then usually the pump won't allow it. Say your in automode & you go into Bolus Wizard your reading will appear, say your reading is 13/14/15 it more than likely wont give you an adjustment bolus it'll just let auto mode slowly bring you back into range.

Now ive just been on a call with my trainer & Medtronic advise not to enter fake carbs for anything as it can mess with your algorithm. What I mean by fake carbs is telling your pump your eating 20/30grams of carbs so it gives you a bolus but really your not eating.

Last edited:

james555

Thanks maco I no exactly what you mean by your faults bolus so it's not advised to do that with 780g I am just wondering it say you have 2 meals say without 60 min of each other and you gave your first bolus to cover first meal with it then allow you to give the second bolus so soon to cover 2 meal hope you understand what I am asking you by the way congratulations on you 99 per cent in range fabulous

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I understand what your asking bud, Yeah it will let you do that. Tonight ive been to the gym, done a bolus with my pre workout then done another bolus mid session to stop the spike & then another bolus when I finish for my post workout snack. 3 bolus in roughly 1.5hrs. With the 780g it will take into account your active insulin etc and maybe cut back on your needs

Lovinlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Maco. I have been reading all of your posts on the 780g with great interest as I have just got the ball rolling on applying for one myself. Currently on MDI using Dexcom G6. Previously used a medtronic paradigm pump back in 2017 but quit as there were a lot of pump failures I think I was getting a lot of non deliveries due to kinks I just couldnt cope with it but I am ready to try again and this closed Loop sounds too good to be true!! So have you noticed many failures with delivery or CGM errors? And the Dexcom is so accurate that I will miss it - is the Medtronic CGM as bad as what some have said? Thanks for all the insight you have given!

Reactions: Maco

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Maco. I have been reading all of your posts on the 780g with great interest as I have just got the ball rolling on applying for one myself. Currently on MDI using Dexcom G6. Previously used a medtronic paradigm pump back in 2017 but quit as there were a lot of pump failures I think I was getting a lot of non deliveries due to kinks I just couldnt cope with it but I am ready to try again and this closed Loop sounds too good to be true!! So have you noticed many failures with delivery or CGM errors? And the Dexcom is so accurate that I will miss it - is the Medtronic CGM as bad as what some have said? Thanks for all the insight you have given!

Hi, As for Pump/delivery failures ive had none since starting on the 7th of January. The cgm, what I will say is YES it can fail quite easily but don't be put off by it. Dont rush applying it & make sure you have plenty fat where you put it, as I can honestly say it'll fail straight away if you dont. I put it on the love handle area & it works perfectly for the full 7 days. Ill also say always fit it with someone else & let them tape it for you because the taping is really important and if not done correctly could lead to sensor failure. Connection between pump & sensor is usually good, if it does lose signal I just hold my pump near to the sensor for a minute & it'll reconnect. I can't comment on Dexcom but compared to Libre the accuracy is 100% better & is always within 1-2mmol of a BG. All in all its no where near as bad as what most people say, actually its really really good!!