8-week bs diet Recipe book - any thoughts?

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently bought the 8-week blood sugar diet recipe book by Dr Clare Bailey, based on Mediterranean lifestyle principles.. Whilst the 8 weeks on 800 cals isn't for me, there are some inspiring and imaginative recipes that prove low carb doesn't have to be boring. I think this may be a constant companion from now on. It even has some innovative pudding ideas that mean the occasional treat isn't out of the question. I would just like to have seen the author working with diabetes.co.uk to provide a unified front in the fight against T2D. Has anybody else got any thoughts on it?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever makes it clear to people that the word diet has nothing to do with carrot juice and lettuce and explains that a diet can include wonderful foods, are filling and still make you healthy has my vote. Go for it.

Reactions: plantagenet

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is this the Michael Mosley book? There have been several threads on here about it.
I was quite cynical at first, thinking he was getting on the bandwagon of the researchers Taylor et al (Newcastle diet). However, it is endorsed by the Taylor team, and is an alternative to meal replacement very low calorie diets. Real food more acceptable to most, and so the diet / eating plan / regime seems a valuable method in the quest for control of T2 diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please be a little careful as I would say that not all the recipes are what I would describe as low-carb. There are instances of the use of flour etc. It is primarily a calorie restricted diet and we all know how well they work....

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this the Michael Mosley book? There have been several threads on here about it.
I was quite cynical at first, thinking he was getting on the bandwagon of the researchers Taylor et al (Newcastle diet). However, it is endorsed by the Taylor team, and is an alternative to meal replacement very low calorie diets. Real food more acceptable to most, and so the diet / eating plan / regime seems a valuable method in the quest for control of T2 diabetes.
I guess it could be called a recipe companion to Michael Mosely's diet book, by his wife Dr. Clare Bailey. As @bulkbiker says, you have to be selective as it does emphasise the calories, but there are a lot of tasty looking meals using alternatives to the stodge that the NHS pushes us to eat.

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, yes, @plantagenet. The 800 calorie a day is meant to be for 8 weeks only. So is not designed as a 'forever eating plan'. Nor is it a low carb plan. Many members accept that low carb regime is the way to maintain good BG control. Myself included. Some are even fortunate enough to lose weight with low carb. It is often a case of trial and error, and no one size fits all. I think 800 cals real food would be preferable for me these days, as those meal replacements do restrict social eating, whereas with real food it is possible to adjust food intake without drawing attention in a social situation.

For myself, I found very low calorie diet stabilised BG levels very quickly. This was following the Newcastle diet meal replacement method. Low carbing, has maintained good BG, but without further weightloss that I need. I recognise that @bulkbiker prefers low carb, but think he also fasts to lose weight. Which would be a combination of methodologies to those publicised by Michael Moseley.

(Sorry if I got that wrong @bulkbiker).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, yes, @plantagenet.

For myself, I found very low calorie diet stabilised BG levels very quickly. This was following the Newcastle diet meal replacement method. Low carbing, has maintained good BG, but without further weightloss that I need. I recognise that @bulkbiker prefers low carb, but think he also fasts to lose weight. Which would be a combination of methodologies to those publicised by Michael Moseley.

(Sorry if I got that wrong @bulkbiker).

No that's quite correct.. well I fast for weight loss and for better BG control. My problem (and it is one I have experienced) is that calorie restriction doesn't appear to work long term (maybe in a few exceptional cases). I follow Dr Fung when he claims that reducing your calories intake slows your metabolism thus making your diet self defeating. That's why I think fasting is a better way to go. That's just my thoughts. For 8 weeks I'm sure that the 800 cal per day could be ok followed by low carbing after to maintain the weight loss. Personally I am trying to be in ketosis more of the time so fasting more and eating less often.

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't fast - on annual check up days I could eat a rabid dog by the time I get out. I found that by following the Low Carb Program on this site, which I think is brilliant, I was able to bring both the weight (20kg loss) and blood sugars down to non-diabetic levels of generally 4-5.5 within 6 months. I have been able to maintain those levels by carrying on in the same vein. I think we each have to find what works for us and then stick with it, true, counting calories doesn't generally last, probably because it becomes too restrictive and boring. My point here was that, in my opinion, this recipe book appears to have some substantial and appealing meals that still help keep things in check without having to live with bland uninteresting and uninspiring food choices.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't fast - on annual check up days I could eat a rabid dog by the time I get out. I found that by following the Low Carb Program on this site, which I think is brilliant, I was able to bring both the weight (20kg loss) and blood sugars down to non-diabetic levels of generally 4-5.5 within 6 months. I have been able to maintain those levels by carrying on in the same vein. I think we each have to find what works for us and then stick with it, true, counting calories doesn't generally last, probably because it becomes too restrictive and boring. My point here was that, in my opinion, this recipe book appears to have some substantial and appealing meals that still help keep things in check without having to live with bland uninteresting and uninspiring food choices.

Well done on you weight loss and BG management, @plantagenet Surely you don't mean low carb has to be bland, Uninteresting, and uninspiring?
Do you mean you need the sweet tasting desserts?
What sort of examples from the book are you finding appealing?

I know, I ask too many questions.;)