A 3rd medication ?

Jp56

Hi I'm jim i am type2 for 5years + I started on mentoring the year later a 2nd stigagliptin 100mg .

As I have been off work through injury then shielding till August now have back injury so not worked since February 20th. Now my doc is saying she looking at adding a 3rd tablet to say I not happy told her reply was next step injections.?

Which is the better option keep with the oral or have injections?

Hope some one can give me an idea ??

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, there are injections that are
Hi I'm jim i am type2 for 5years + I started on mentoring the year later a 2nd stigagliptin 100mg .

As I have been off work through injury then shielding till August now have back injury so not worked since February 20th. Now my doc is saying she looking at adding a 3rd tablet to say I not happy told her reply was next step injections.?

well there are injections that are additional to tablets that aren’t insulin. But what is the 3rd tablet they are thinking of? Injections: is that insulin they are suggesting?

assuming you have a higher hba1c otherwise they wouldn’t be suggesting a 3rd therapy, so you know what your reading is?

what’s your diet like? There may be scope to improve and reverse some of the drugs.

Insulin has some major changes to your lifestyle and impacts driving, has more management but many people do navigate it well (and clearly all type 1s do) but personally I did everything I could to avoid it

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or maybe change what you eat and put your T2 into remission and be drug free maybe?
That might be an option and should be considered but full remission and drug free isn’t possible for everyone. But certainly is something these forums can show @Jp56 to see if those changes can be made

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Have you tried low carbing?

If not, and you might be interested then check out this link for some pretty good dietary info on foods to avoid.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

There is also www.dietdoctor.com for more info on low carb eating. Many people have had major success with this route as opposed to the drug route.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only 3 !!! Currently on Metformin, sitagliptin, dapagliflozin and gliclazide. They tried my on a weekly injectable (I can't remember which one) but it just sat under my skin and didn't absorb into my system, I am low(er) carb but can't go the whole hog due to the dapagliflozin

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only 3 !!! Currently on Metformin, sitagliptin, dapagliflozin and gliclazide. They tried my on a weekly injectable (I can't remember which one) but it just sat under my skin and didn't absorb into my system, I am low(er) carb but can't go the whole hog due to the dapagliflozin
Not sure I understand what you mean about whole hog?
I was able to drop the dapa (and weekly injection - bydureon) by lowering my carbs and weight loss. Not saying it will work for you of course but curious what the issue is

they seem to be pushing more triple (or more in your case) therapies rather than insulin, which I guess is good

the answer thinking about it to @Jp56 depends on your blood levels, opportunities to do differently such as diet and what you are able to do. However, Having high bloods longer term is not a sensible approach vs injections

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure I understand what you mean about whole hog?
I was able to drop the dapa (and weekly injection - bydureon) by lowering my carbs and weight loss. Not saying it will work for you of course but curious what the issue is

they seem to be pushing more triple (or more in your case) therapies rather than insulin, which I guess is good

the answer thinking about it to @Jp56 depends on your blood levels, opportunities to do differently such as diet and what you are able to do. However, Having high bloods longer term is not a sensible approach vs injections
Hog hog as in Keto - the dapa can cause DKA with no symptoms on a keto diet, I've no objections to insulin it's just this seems to be working at the moment

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hog hog as in Keto - the dapa can cause DKA with no symptoms on a keto diet, I've no objections to insulin it's just this seems to be working at the moment
Ah I understand
I didn’t like the side effects or risks on dapa so was glad to come off it