A bit of an update. Good news and a query

steveyp

Hi I was diagnosed on 7 Feb with an HbA1c of of 131. I took all of the advice from this forum and cut carbs to around 80 per day. I'm on 2x 500g Metformin per day (with no problems, must have an iron stomach) and 120 mg Gliclazide per day 40:80.

Yesterday I had blood results again as the DN asked for them before my appointment next week, and the HbA1c is down to 100 so I'm really pleased. There's still a long way to go but that's a good start in just a month so thanks everyone!

When I had the latest blood done on Tuesday I was told that my cholesterol on 7 Feb had been 7 (No one mentioned this before) so the Dr has prescribed statins. With this latest result that's down to 3.9. I'm wondering if this will continue to come down as my blood sugar comes down or should I take these statins to help. I've heard lots of worrying things about statin so I'm reluctant to start taking them.

Reactions: daisyduck

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that 3.9 without taking statins ? If so then (in my opinion ) you won't need them.
Well done on the drop in your numbers so far. Low carb works so fast and so well.

Reactions: steveyp

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is an excellent result after just one month. :)

Before you make a decision on statins you need the full breakdown of your cholesterol (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides) I strongly advise you to find these out, and ask for a print out of your test results. The total cholesterol is meaningless on its own without knowing what it is made up of. Are you saying it dropped from 7 to 3.9 in a month without statins? There is something very odd about that! You need the print outs.

steveyp

Sorry that should say 4.9 not 3.9. I have a printout which give me some numbers but I'm not sure what they mean.
Serum Cholesterol 4.9 mmol/l

Serum HDL 1.39 mmol/l
non-HDL 3.5 mmol/l
Total cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.53

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry that should say 4.9 not 3.9. I have a printout which give me some numbers but I'm not sure what they mean.
Serum Cholesterol 4.9 mmol/l

Serum HDL 1.39 mmol/l
non-HDL 3.5 mmol/l
Total cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.53

Those are excellent. Is there a mention of triglycerides, or LDL?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is nothing there that would indicate statin intervention to me.

HDL should be 1.2 to 3.5
Non-HDL should be under 3.5
Total/HDL ratio should be under 4.

Reactions: steveyp

steveyp

There is nothing there that would indicate statin intervention to me.

HDL should be 1.2 to 3.5
Non-HDL should be under 3.5
Total/HDL ratio should be under 4.
Thats good news Bluetit. He prescribed them based on the 7 from the previous test so I'll wait till I see him on 21st before I take any. Thank you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats good news Bluetit. He prescribed them based on the 7 from the previous test so I'll wait till I see him on 21st before I take any. Thank you.

You can always ask him for a further 3 months to improve those cholesterol levels (not that they need improving, they are better than average by a long way) and then have another test before he pushes them on you. Even then, you don't need to take them. Do your research and make sure you understand what all the numbers mean.