A couple of food based questions.

Nicksellick

Good morning everyone. I hope you are all doing well.
Following my diagnosis just under a year ago, I have changed my diet to a much healthier one.
I am not specifically aiming at low carb, but cutting out the rice, pasta, potatos, etc has meant a much reduced carb load.
I have gradually introduced healthier carbs such as sour dough bread, and some forms of the less sweet fruit.
My question is, do the benfits of, for example, apples, pears, whole grain sour dough bread and the like, out weigh the negative effects of them being carby?
I still only have a couyple of slices of bread a week, but am eating either an apple or a pear daily.
I'd love to hear your opinions.
Cheers Nick

oldbobw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. I hope you are all doing well.
Following my diagnosis just under a year ago, I have changed my diet to a much healthier one.
I am not specifically aiming at low carb, but cutting out the rice, pasta, potatos, etc has meant a much reduced carb load.
I have gradually introduced healthier carbs such as sour dough bread, and some forms of the less sweet fruit.
My question is, do the benfits of, for example, apples, pears, whole grain sour dough bread and the like, out weigh the negative effects of them being carby?
I still only have a couyple of slices of bread a week, but am eating either an apple or a pear daily.
I'd love to hear your opinions.
Cheers Nick
Hi Nick

Like you I have changed diet since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in May. The sugar score then was 66. I have changed to wholemeal bread and pasta and rice and limited portion sizes and frequency. I have no potatoes and no added sugar at all. Following basically a mediterranean diet. Lost 1 stone in weight. BP down and latest sugar score down to 42!!
The only fruit I have is strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, so sorry do not have an answer for you but hopefully someone will.
My issue is with yoghurts, milk, cream etc etc. I was told to go to full fat versions but this has increased my cholesterol. Can any one advise if I should use the low fat versions but be careful to avoid any that seem to have added sugar or sugar alternatives - also is a plant based "yoghurt" like Alpro better than the dairy versions.
Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told to go to full fat versions but this has increased my cholesterol.
Probably unlikely to be a problem.
Do you have a breakdown of your lipids and had you water only fasted before the blood was taken?

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Nick,

Different foods affect each of us differently and how they affect us can change over time. Some of us know if our sugar is spiking, others need to use a meter to help learn which foods to avoid or eat sparingly.

Ellis