A Fork In The Road - interesting blog post.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:(:wideyed::***::rolleyes: I feel exhausted just reading that. I think I used up all my "being a better person" stuff, just managing the diabetes, and there was nothing left over for anything else. :grumpy:

I think there is some truth in what she says. It does force us to be quite disciplined. I suspect I'm a different person because of it, but I'm not sure it's helped me overcome other problems. But I do see the world differently because of it, so who knows, maybe in some ways it did.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP .
A wonderful piece and in so many ways spot on.
Being diagnosed T1 did and has made me a better person I so many ways.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have so much respect for T1 peeps, that's a hard road. I feel like I'm a tourist as T2 (me not others, won't speak for them, some pretty weathered peeps there too)
We all travel different roads.
For me having to continually watch my diet and decline food I really enjoy would be a far greater PIA than everything T1 throws at me.
I have the upmost respect for you.:)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s good, isn’t it? I definitely think it’s changed me as a person. I spent nearly two decades in despair because of it. But I’ve pulled myself out of that hole with the aid of technology and this forum, and am using the skills and resilience it’s given me to kick life right in the testicles.

If I can be an internal organ, I can be ANYTHING :couchpotato:

Reactions: copilost

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP .
I know a bit of your history and it’s amazing when you realise where T1 took you and now where you are taking it.:)

Reactions: copilost

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took me to the very depths, I won’t lie.
And that's often where we have to go to find the best version of us that we can be, but I am glad you are not there now.

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The discipline part certainly fits the bill when considering the mantra: eat what you like and dose with insulin for it.
The pre-planning, attention to order and similar organisation skills i acquired through developing diabetes from age 13 have stood me in good stead throughout life in all things.
Thank you for posting that interesting blog @Mel dCP !

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Despite this catastrophe of a life that diabetes forced on me, I don't generally envy people. But just for a moment, I envied those people mentioned in the post who got into pits of depression or anxiety.

I wish I had NORMAL problems. No, I have to have really unusual epilepsy that there are no words to explain. I have to have problems with diabetes that nobody else has. I would give my life savings if I could trade my health problems for some serious, but NORMAL problems.

Sorry for the rant. This just really got to me.