A long shot

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi. I know this is unlikely but I was wondering if anyone has been on xeljanz, which is a drug for psoriatic arthritis and if so did it make them insulin resistant? This is my third day on it and I have had to DOUBLE my novorapid and increase my lantus a bit ( not too much in case it’s due to something else which may pass). Oh dear(not a true reflection of how I feel which would require moderator intervention). Thanks, Leeanne

Reactions: urbanracer

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Does the Patient Information Leaflet warn about contraindications for diabetes?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I know this is unlikely but I was wondering if anyone has been on xeljanz, which is a drug for psoriatic arthritis and if so did it make them insulin resistant? This is my third day on it and I have had to DOUBLE my novorapid and increase my lantus a bit ( not too much in case it’s due to something else which may pass). Oh dear(not a true reflection of how I feel which would require moderator intervention). Thanks, Leeanne

Leeannea, have you been prescribe the drug because you're in a crisis/flaring situation? If that's the case, the increase in inflamation could be the trigger.

I have a couple of stubborn patches of exzema (so nothing like your condition!), but when I have to use the steroid cream on those for a few days, I sometimes find when they get worse before getting better.

Leeannea, I'm not suggesting you have been inaccurately diagnosed, because I don't know anything about you, but a couple of years into treatment for psoriatic arthritis, including Methotrexate et al, a business colleague of mine was tested for Coeliac Disease, which actually transpired to be the underlying cause of his skin problems.

As I say, I am absolutely not suggesting you are the same, but with another auto-immune condition already in play, I hope you've been tested for Coeliac and the other raft of AI conditions?

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Does the Patient Information Leaflet warn about contraindications for diabetes?

Hi. Thanks for replying. The only diabetic warning is of the impact of the increased risk of infections from the drugs immunosuppressive action But good thought.

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Leeannea, have you been prescribe the drug because you're in a crisis/flaring situation? If that's the case, the increase in inflamation could be the trigger.

I have a couple of stubborn patches of exzema (so nothing like your condition!), but when I have to use the steroid cream on those for a few days, I sometimes find when they get worse before getting better.

Leeannea, I'm not suggesting you have been inaccurately diagnosed, because I don't know anything about you, but a couple of years into treatment for psoriatic arthritis, including Methotrexate et al, a business colleague of mine was tested for Coeliac Disease, which actually transpired to be the underlying cause of his skin problems.

As I say, I am absolutely not suggesting you are the same, but with another auto-immune condition already in play, I hope you've been tested for Coeliac and the other raft of AI conditions?

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA

Hi. Yes I’ve been tested for what seems like every autoimmune illness known to man, as my symptoms and signs weren’t clear cut.
I thought about the flare up reason for my insulin resistance before I had a nervy turn about the medication. I’m now hoping for the best case scenario- the treatment will help the condition which will then help my blood sugars. I also keep uttering my mantra - be happy, it could be worse, although it comes out as a whisper at times.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Yes I’ve been tested for what seems like every autoimmune illness known to man, as my symptoms and signs weren’t clear cut.
I thought about the flare up reason for my insulin resistance before I had a nervy turn about the medication. I’m now hoping for the best case scenario- the treatment will help the condition which will then help my blood sugars. I also keep uttering my mantra - be happy, it could be worse, although it comes out as a whisper at times.

Sometimes it seems like a never ending loop, I'm sure.

I've also had the whole gammut of AI tests, as the Endo reckoned with my family history I couldn't avoid something. It seems I have,.......... so far!

Hopefully, there might be someone around later with more experience or insight than I.

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Sometimes it seems like a never ending loop, I'm sure.

I've also had the whole gammut of AI tests, as the Endo reckoned with my family history I couldn't avoid something. It seems I have,.......... so far!

Hopefully, there might be someone around later with more experience or insight than I.

Even if there is someone else I appreciate your kindness in reading and responding to my post

Reactions: DCUKMod