A lot of low readings

michael88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. Hope everyone is well and looking forward to the long weekend. Still slowly getting to grips with the insulin regime but currently having at least one hypo a day. I started on Novarapid 3 times a day at 5 units with Lantus at 15. I had multiple hypos through the day about 3 hours after meals (even though the contained a lot of carbs! Including 2 slices or toast and porridge one morning!) levels seem to drop to around 3mmol so in turn having to eat more and more. I have turned my I Novarapid down to 2 units for breakfast and 2 for lunch as I find it hard to stomach a big meal for this. Usually having a small bowl of cerial and a sandwich and pieces of fruit for lunch. Again today I dropped to 3mmol around 11am. I'm pretty confused as I'm sure I'm eating more carbs than actually the insulin would usually cover. My job is sitting at a desk so exercise is not really the problem. Any ideas on what step I can take next? Would it be best to have a small snack such as 2 biscuits around 10am and 3pm to keep levels decent? Or should I contact my diabetes care team? Looking over I don't seem to suffer from many high readings since coming home from hospital being diagnosed just over 3 weeks ago with maybe highest being around 9.5mmol. Thank you all in advance

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you were only diagnosed 3 weeks ago, you should contact your DSN who will advise what is best for you. You certainly don't want to feed the insulin as this can put on unwanted weight (though I presume you lost weight before diagnosis). You should ask about adjusting your insulin, if you want to vary the amounts of carbs for each meal.

It takes time, but things will improve with the help of your team (and the forum).