Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
"....you shouldn't have to go looking". This is true, we shouldn't be doing the Dr. Google stuff and relying on luck or the lack of it as to whether we find good, sound advice.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t seem to get that to play. Has anyone read the Pioppi diet book and/or followed the dietary advice? If so, what results have you had?

Viv19

I can’t seem to get that to play. Has anyone read the Pioppi diet book and/or followed the dietary advice? If so, what results have you had?

The Michael Mosley book ‘The 8 week blood sugar diet’ seems to be based on the Pioppi lifestyle. The problem for me is that I really can’t be doing with weighing food and counting calories. I’m generally following the idea in order to lose weight, but it’s just slower than his plan. If I concentrate on food too much, then that’s all I think about. And then I eat too much!
What I have realised is that I need to have an idea of my day’s menu in my mind, so that I don’t end up too hungry at any point. My fall back meal if all else fails is a large assorted veggie stir fry, with or without meat, sometimes with a curry sauce, nuts. Grated cauliflower does a useful job of replacing rice, absorbing sauce and providing bulk on my fork. It doesn’t sound wonderful but it works. I’m still trying to build up a list of meals that don’t need too long in preparation, and that I can make in tandem with a less calorie controlled meal for the old guy (who should diet but won’t).
Alcohol has gone- at least until I’ve reached my goal. I’ll survive that.

Reactions: DianaMC

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Viv19 thanks for sharing your experiences. I so relate to not wanting to count calories! And obsessing on food. With me it’s the other end of the scale - I get scared of eating anything. I like stir fry veg too. Do you use recipes for curry sauces? Or use sauces from jars etc? I used to make a nice rice based stir fry where I used curry powder for the curry kick. And added in veg and sometimes a bit of meat. But I have a feeling it will be overpowering on veg alone, even if cauliflower is the base - though I haven’t tried it. Good idea to have in mind an idea of food/meals for the day. I might be lucky, as my old guy is generally willing to eat the same as me. But I know his tastes, so I sometimes add in an extra, which I might not bother with on my own but which still agrees with my prediabetic needs. I also give him a larger portion of any of the ‘healthier’ carbs we’re including (I’m guessing the 800 diet won’t have those, though - & guess I need to read the book to be sure). Only trouble is, I can’t get away with trying to feed him anything (independently) with high carb or sugar anymore, as he’s absorbed the info and logic of it all - and reminds me ‘we can’t have that’!

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

@Viv19 thanks for sharing your experiences. I so relate to not wanting to count calories! And obsessing on food. With me it’s the other end of the scale - I get scared of eating anything. I like stir fry veg too. Do you use recipes for curry sauces? Or use sauces from jars etc? I used to make a nice rice based stir fry where I used curry powder for the curry kick. And added in veg and sometimes a bit of meat. But I have a feeling it will be overpowering on veg alone, even if cauliflower is the base - though I haven’t tried it. Good idea to have in mind an idea of food/meals for the day. I might be lucky, as my old guy is generally willing to eat the same as me. But I know his tastes, so I sometimes add in an extra, which I might not bother with on my own but which still agrees with my prediabetic needs. I also give him a larger portion of any of the ‘healthier’ carbs we’re including (I’m guessing the 800 diet won’t have those, though - & guess I need to read the book to be sure). Only trouble is, I can’t get away with trying to feed him anything (independently) with high carb or sugar anymore, as he’s absorbed the info and logic of it all - and reminds me ‘we can’t have that’!

Diana I found a curry sauce recipe that can be added to just about anything. I’m a curry addict anyway. I posted it in the food and recipes link.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Interesting story! I’m all for lifestyle changes, but my mom-experience with my younger has taught me that there are persons who can be led to water, but not be made to drink. And I myself have chronic conditions which make those prescriptions I take a matter of life and death. I’m pretty sure I would have gotten asthma sooner or later whether or not my parents had (as they did) brought me up in their cigarette-smoking world. Drugs keep me going. As for some of the others, nobody has even figured out why they happen yet, but they have made miracle drugs to slow them down! I am the lucky beneficiary of non-“heart disease”-cardio-pulmonary magic wand waving. Pre-D, otoh, is one I can actually do something about with lifestyle.
My food style is more habit than anything, and keeping the kitchen stocked with LC ingredients that can be combined into either a quickie meal on the run, or something that takes hours to prepare. Breakfast is a rut which I love, and lunch likewise. Supper is the variable. My real problems at the moment are cheese, too much of; and nuts, too many of