Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just tried to view the link and computer froze. I think your referring to the Mayor of New York banning super-sized drinks being served, it's a good idea but doesn't stop the individual going back and ordering a second drink, there's was an article on Sky News where they were asking residents of NY if they agreed with Bloomberg........surprise surprise the answer was NO!!! :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I ran 9 miles the other night. I timed the end of my run with a local MacDonalds, so that I could buy myself two-extra large diet cokes. If they'd have sold me a bucked full, I would have drunk it. Does this make me a bad man?

Are diet sodas going to be included in the ban?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If they'd have sold me a bucked full, I would have drunk it. Does this make me a bad man?
No ,but definitely not paleo either. Fortunately I don't run anywhere near anywhere near any drinks for sale, so carry water with me.
You could always assuage your thirst by drinking from any sort of standing, brackish water which is what our semi feral cats do. I suspect that's nearer what our ancestors did.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SouthernGeneral6512 said:
These drinks are one of the curses of our time ... and they have a cheek to call them soft drinks

Well in small quantities and not taken everyday I don't see a problem, I use to enjoy diet coke and such but rarely drink it now as it tends to gas me up and I feel bloated for hours after.

SouthernGeneral6512

noblehead said:
These drinks are one of the curses of our time ... and they have a cheek to call them soft drinks

Well in small quantities and not taken everyday I don't see a problem, I use to enjoy diet coke and such but rarely drink it now as it tends to gas me up and I feel bloated for hours after.

I do think they are almost like alcohol in as much as some people can take them or leave them where as others really do get a high ... unfortunately I'm in the latter group

... coca-cola was my pusher :sick:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do think they are almost like alcohol in as much as some people can take them or leave them where as others really do get a high ... unfortunately I'm in the latter group

Good point SG, I suppose it goes along the same lines as being addicted to junk food.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
phoenix said:
If they'd have sold me a bucked full, I would have drunk it. Does this make me a bad man?
No ,but definitely not paleo either. Fortunately I don't run anywhere near anywhere near any drinks for sale, so carry water with me.
You could always assuage your thirst by drinking from any sort of standing, brackish water which is what our semi feral cats do. I suspect that's nearer what our ancestors did.

That makes me a very bad man. How can I ever kneel at the altar of Kurt Harris ever again?

It was a hot day, I took a bottle but it didn't last me more that 3 miles. To be honest, I was so dehyrdated that I would have a shared a bucket full of water with a pack of cats. There isn't that much brackish water in London, I didn't fancy a glass full of the Thames. Since then I've started using my CamelBak, but it tastes of plastic (which probably isn't very Paleo either) but then I guess that our Hunter Gatherer ancestors would have carried an animal's bladder full of water.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coca Cola's response to Bloomberg's move is so typical. Just like our food industry's response to proposals to mandate the "traffic light" information on processed foods. They say it's an education problem and they want the customer to continue eating their product in blissful ignorance.

Cowboyjim

This is a complex to resolve problem but it cannot be avoided...
anyway, the link still works for me....

Meanwhile, was gonna have some leftover Covent Garden soup for lunch.... never mind sodas, this little demon lurking in the fridge says in small letters it has over 17 g of sugar in HALF a carton of TOMATO soup... 300 g, holy moly etc Batperson... luckily there was only about half that left... but still... another darn harsh bike ride this afternoon after glugging that then... rest assured it will be consumed with lots of other muck.... like veg some cheese, chicken etc.... but my son drinks these soups... time for a rethink... 8)

http://www.newcoventgardensoup.com/ncgs-product-range/plum-tomato-basil-soup

this is my fave tho, the mushroom one which looks less bad... maybe it is those norty toms?! 8)

http://www.newcoventgardensoup.com/ncgs-product-range/wild-mushroom-soup

They are tasty and quick but I can never leave them as is, have to put broccoli and cheese on top... maybe croutons, bad boy! 8)

SouthernGeneral6512

How many people would ask for 10 sugars in a cup of tea :sick:

Attachments

• Sugar In Coke.jpg
    Sugar In Coke.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,428

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pre-diagnosis I loved sweet sugary fizzy drinks - about 6 litres a week. Think that's why I'm here ...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How many people would ask for 10 sugars in a cup of tea :sick:

A good illustration! :(

relgycandy

I timed the end of my run with a local MacDonalds, so that I could buy myself two-extra large diet cokes.
:p :p :p :p :p :p