A question

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hoping this is not a silly question. I am going out with friends to the cinema and for a meal on Tuesday evening.
As I will be eating much later than normal my question is how do I manage the timing of my insulin and
my evening meal.

I usually have my insulin and evening meal between 6.30 and 7.30. On Tuesday evening I will not be eating till at least
8.30pm. I am concerned about taking my insulin later than usual as my blood sugars tend to drop during the night.

Thanks in anticipation

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What insulin are you using as that can affect the answer.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply.

I am on Lantus which I take in the morning and humalog which I take before meals

Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ok, so the insulin profile is max action at say 30mins with duration roughly 5hiurs. So depending on what time you go to bed you would probably have some active insulin on board.
Assuming your carb counting is roughly accurate then going to bed towards the top of your range should stop any bad lows. If you are worried you could set an alarm to test at between 2 and 3 in the morning.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks very much. My carb counting is reasonable. Never as good when I eat out though
but it is improving.

I will test before going to the cinema to ensure I am ok as I will be eating later. I am working hard to
keep my levels within range and find that my levels can drop nearer to when I normally eat.

Thanks again