A quick one...about BS test

MissMac

After a bit of a emotional rollercoaster day yesterday...last night I was SUPER chuffed because I did a reading about 2 hours after dinner.....7.2!!! I know this is still a little above but it's also over half of my fasting blood glucose reading..so I felt a bit good. Anyway...no I am not testing regularly yet but I did one this morning before anything passed my gob...9.7!? CONFUSED! I'd not eaten past last nights reading so how does it go up when to all intents and purposes I was fasted???? Any ideas guru's? x

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The liver dump! There's loads of threads on here about it. But basically your liver can dump glucose first thing in the morning. Most of us have higher readings first thing because of this. And you have no control over it!

Sent from my D2403 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You had dawn phenomenon where the liver dumps glucose into your system to get you ready for the day. The liver can also do this if you don't eat often enough or your BS goes too low. It is the bane of many T2's including me. Over time with a low carb diet your morning fasting BS will start to come down but it is usually the last to fall into line so don't get too stressed about it. 7.2 !!!!!! Happy dance time :D:p That is a fantastic number for you to get this early on. Keep up the good work.;)

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a bit of a emotional rollercoaster day yesterday...last night I was SUPER chuffed because I did a reading about 2 hours after dinner.....7.2!!! I know this is still a little above but it's also over half of my fasting blood glucose reading..so I felt a bit good. Anyway...no I am not testing regularly yet but I did one this morning before anything passed my gob...9.7!? CONFUSED! I'd not eaten past last nights reading so how does it go up when to all intents and purposes I was fasted???? Any ideas guru's? x
It's called the Dawn Phenomenon aka liver dump and is both normal and common. It can be very difficult to control until you have everything else sorted. Search the forums and you will find numerous threads about it.

Regards

Bluebell

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

MissMac

You had dawn phenomenon where the liver dumps glucose into your system to get you ready for the day. The liver can also do this if you don't eat often enough or your BS goes too low. It is the bane of many T2's including me. Over time with a low carb diet your morning fasting BS will start to come down but it is usually the last to fall into line so don't get too stressed about it. 7.2 !!!!!! Happy dance time :D:p That is a fantastic number for you to get this early on. Keep up the good work.;)
I know..I was proper chuffed to the point I nearly cried as I have not seen anything below double figures and whilst this is not a good basis owing to the lack of proper diet I am taking in just now, it still shows I might be doing something right! xx

Reactions: 2 people

MissMac

It's called the Dawn Phenomenon aka liver dump and is both normal and common. It can be very difficult to control until you have everything else sorted. Search the forums and you will find numerous threads about it.

Regards

Bluebell

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Awesome....thank you SO much..you've ALL put my mind at rest now :) xx

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave up taking my fasting bgs because my liver always thinks that I am dying in a morning and I was getting stressed which was driving my bgs up !!
CAROL

MissMac

I gave up taking my fasting bgs because my liver always thinks that I am dying in a morning and I was getting stressed which was driving my bgs up !!
CAROL
Don't think I am gonna have that option really as want to see what I can and cannot eat as of next week when I try this low carb thing..but once I know..think I might as well! lol x

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always tested before a meal and 2hours after so I did know what was going on with my bgs I have good control now but my morning levels are still higher than any other time I just seem to have a very kind liver !
CAROL