A Salty Problem

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being new to this Low Carb diet, which is working superbly for dropping weight along with a couple of hours of aerobic Mountain Biking 3 or 4 times a week, 12 kilos gone since 1st March, however since my Type 2 diagnosis 2 weeks ago I have further dropped by daily carbs and increased protein. Fingers crossed it gets me below the magic 39 figure by August when my 3 monthly blood test is due.

I have noticed over the last 4 days that my lips have a salty taste like you might get from a brisk walk on a wild windswept beach, I have also noticed it when I lick my hands, not that I make a habit of doing this. Is this normal and to be expected or should I be concerned?

I do not add salt to anything, drink plenty of water, take no medication and shower after Mountain Biking so it isn't sweat help please!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t answer your question about your salty lips, but if you are low carbing, not adding salt to food, and exercising (sweating) regularly, then you may want to read up on maintaining electrolyte balance while low carbing - especially with the summer heat incoming...

https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Electrolytes

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My electrolytes contain 0.46g per 100ml my bottle is 700ml and I use one tablet, I have never cramped in the last 19 years of Mountain Biking but of course I was not counting carbs, in fact I was adding them obviously quite erroneously. Before going to bed last nigh I ate 10 almond nuts and added a good grinding of salt, bang goes my fasting time, lips taste less salty this morning but it is still there after drinking my morning glass of water. I am planning a 3 hour ride after breakfast so I will try adding another electrolyte tablet to my water and monitor the taste of salt for the rest of today.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My electrolytes contain 0.46g per 100ml my bottle is 700ml and I use one tablet, I have never cramped in the last 19 years of Mountain Biking but of course I was not counting carbs, in fact I was adding them obviously quite erroneously. Before going to bed last nigh I ate 10 almond nuts and added a good grinding of salt, bang goes my fasting time, lips taste less salty this morning but it is still there after drinking my morning glass of water. I am planning a 3 hour ride after breakfast so I will try adding another electrolyte tablet to my water and monitor the taste of salt for the rest of today.

What’s in the electrolyte tablet? They are normally just salt and sugar.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The electrolytes are ZERO ELECTROLYTE SPORTS DRINK HIGH 5 I use one tablet in 700 ml bottle.

Typical Values Per Serv. 4g % RI* (Per 4g)
Magnesium (mg) 56 15%
Potassium (mg) 70 3.5%
Calcium (mg) 9 1.1%
Vitamin C (mg) 28 35%
Sodium (mg) 250 –
Green Tea (mg) 1

Today I did a three hour ride and then worked until 6 pm in the garden, the salty taste is still there but not so strong as the last few days.

I still have not added salt to meals but will give this a try this evening and see what occurs.

This really is a big learning curve, I have more energy than I have had for years and feel less hungry. I reckon the biggest problem will be working out how to maintain weight after August Blood Test when I aim to be NORMAL.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how to maintain weight after August Blood Test when I aim to be NORMAL.

If your body is anything like mine you'll have a target in mind and the weight loss will stop annoyingly just above where you want to be..

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your body is anything like mine you'll have a target in mind and the weight loss will stop annoyingly just above where you want to be..

Easily solved, I'll just set my target lower than I would like it to be, then when my body stops short of the target I shall be spot on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Easily solved, I'll just set my target lower than I would like it to be, then when my body stops short of the target I shall be spot on.

If you keep losing weight once you reach your target, without increasing carbs (which isn't wise) you have to increase your fats and/or protein and find the right balance. Finding this balance can take time - believe me.