A spoonful of vinegar helps the sugar go down??

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
this is a strange one, although i found if i ate pickled onions my bloods were lower after my meal than the same meal with no onions, so in my opinion there may be something in it :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I believe that vinegar has long been known to have the ability to reduce sugar in the blood. It was apparently used as a diabetes treatment by doctors in the days of the Roman Empire.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Mendosa talks about acidic foods here, apparently they help slow down digestion.

Regards, Tubs.

broads

I read that the best vinegar to take was red wine vinegar. Was going to give it a go but haven't got round to it yet

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I recently dicovered raspberry vinegar. It's blisful on avocados and well diluted makes a pleasant drink.

C

catherinecherub

Anything that is vinegar based has a lowering effect on blood sugars as does lemon juice.

tubolard

Dislikes
So, salt eases digestion, vinegar hinders digestion - mmmmm, chips 'n' vinegar back on the menu then :)

Tubs.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
tubolard said:
So, salt eases digestion, vinegar hinders digestion - mmmmm, chips 'n' vinegar back on the menu then :)

Tubs.

Don't even think about it!!! :D

C

catherinecherub

I think about it all the time. :wink: A good curry with nan bread, onion bhaj , Heaven.

tubolard

Dislikes
pork pie, chips 'n' vinegar - should have suggested that as a new flavour to Walkers :lol: that would've solved my very own personal credit crunch.

Tubs.

pedro606

Tomorrow I will be in London, travelling from South Wales-- meeting my son's father in law from Sunderland and we are then going to the game at the Emirates. Hoping Arsenal win, of course.

Anyway, he wants to eat a traditional cockney dish. My son(who is in Afghan at the moment) suggested he try 'pie and mash'. I know I should NOT be eating this- but how can I take him along to Chapel Market pie shop and not have some myself! I am a Londoner! I shall just have one pie and mash and liquor sauce. What I will do is to smother it all in[b] vinegar[/b]-- which is what people tend to do anyway and pepper as well. After that a slow stroll to the Emirates.

To be serious though. I am very apprehensive about having the meal BUT I want to see it as a 'treat' and NOT something I will do often.

Any tips on this? (DON'T say follow Spurs either!)

cheers, Pete

broads

Just enjoy it. Enjoy your day. You only have one life. I know you have to look after it but..............Have a good journey and a great day. Best wishes

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
As broads said ,enjoy your treat!!Treats are much more delicious when they are a rare thing.

pedro606

Thanks eversomuch for your encouragement. I was feeling a tad bad about it all BUT I shall just go and enjoy the day and the meal and hopefully a big win for Arsenal!

I bought some red wine vinegar today. I shall use that more often now.

What is interesting about vinegar- my wife comes from South East Asia. Vinegar is used a lot in cooking. Also, and my wife is no exception, they generally have a small bowl of vinegar with some soy sauce in at the dinner table. Sometimes my wife would dip a piece of meat in or spoon a small amount over the veg. I have tended to have given that a wide berth except when I am out in that part of the World. The surprising statistic is that diabetes is very common in SE Asia. I guess it is down to all the rice and noodles they eat! I used to eat large amounts as well BUT have stopped since I became a T2 a few weeks ago!

Pete

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Pete,

If you want a real Cockney dish, how about jellied eels or an eel pie. When I grew up in London in the 50s and 60s every part of London that bordered the Thames had eel pie shops. These days there's just a few left in Greenwich.

pedro606

They are still around in London but eel pie no longer on the menu. Shame as that would probably have been relatively OK for us lot! Jellied eels are still on the menu though but I don't really like them much although I have eaten quite a few in years gone by. Have a look at this.

http://www.pie-n-mash.com/

The one I am going to is in Chapel Market. I have been many times years ago when I was young and living in London. The interior is still as it was but the prices have changed!!

Pete

C

catherinecherub

It is quite easy to make your own vinegars, fruit or savoury. Had lamb for dinner today. It was marinaded in my home made rosemary vinegar prior to cooking. You can drizzle them over salads as well. Made a good strawberry one last summer.