A Veggie Question

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know that on lchf going low or no starchy vegetables is optimum. What I would like to know is, do I have to limit non starchy/above ground vegetables to gain the full effect of glucose control/weight loss?

My bg is slowly coming down (6.9 this morning) but I have been eating quite a few veggies lately. Could it be the vegetables or my liver dumping glucose that's keeping my bg levels elevated, or both?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that on lchf going low or no starchy vegetables is optimum. What I would like to know is, do I have to limit non starchy/above ground vegetables to gain the full effect of glucose control/weight loss?

My bg is slowly coming down (6.9 this morning) but I have been eating quite a few veggies lately. Could it be the vegetables or my liver dumping glucose that's keeping my bg levels elevated, or both?

What are your levels like during the day and evening, @Troubled1 ? The fasting level can be the most inconsistent, because so many factors, like dawn phenomenon, quality of sleep and so on impacting.

Above ground vegetables are usually a fairly safe bet, and of course they play their part in us feeling satisfied after meals. One thing you have to ask yourself is if you reduce your veg content, what do you replace it with, that wouldn't impact your bloods?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see no reason to limit low carb veggies - they are good for you. You just need to know how many carbs (as per your normal portion size) they contain. Too many and your carb count will go up, but your meter will tell you this by testing before and after eating. The book (and app) Carbs & Cals is a very good book to help with this.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
One way to find out: cut down on the veg for a few days.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I don't cut down on above ground veg. This way of eating is for life and its nice and almost essential to know there is something we can fill our plate (and our tummies) with.

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As above, eat to your meter, find out what works for you. :)

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@DCUKmod fasting today was 6.9. I haven't eaten yet and just checked and had a 6.5. I did however indulge on some peanuts last night.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I would like to know is, do I have to limit non starchy/above ground vegetables to gain the full effect of glucose control/weight loss?

I don't think so.

I have always eaten huge amounts of vegetables and salad since diagnosis, and never felt better.

If vegetables ever become bad for us, then we may as well give up entirely.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't think so.

I have always eaten huge amounts of vegetables and salad since diagnosis, and never felt better.

If vegetables ever become bad for us, then we may as well give up entirely.
Or give up vegetables.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before dinner this evening (grilled pork chop and salad) I had a bg reading of 6.5. 2 hours after I get a reading of 5.1. I don't understand why it is lower. Doesn't ones bg usually go up after a meal? I figured the protein would raise the bg marginally.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat masses of above ground veg (including fruit like avocados, aubergines, courgettes and peppers) on LCHF and feel great on it, but I keep a tight lid on the below ground veg and grains, etc.

So long as I do that, the above ground veg doesn't seem to impact blood glucose in the slightest. :)

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Before dinner this evening (grilled pork chop and salad) I had a bg reading of 6.5. 2 hours after I get a reading of 5.1. I don't understand why it is lower. Doesn't ones bg usually go up after a meal? I figured the protein would raise the bg marginally.

Don't worry. I've had meals where I've been lower after than I was before although it is rare. Just keep that meal combination in mind as being 'safe'.

Reactions: Ultramum