A warning about Quorn

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you cope with enjoying unprocessed food when you have periods of eating total food replacement sachets? Do you not miss fresh food? (Genuine question)
A very valid question.
I regard Total food replacement products as medication. Thankfully, I do not have them long term, and thanks to the food replacement products I no longer need diabetes medication.
It was a cost benefit analysis. It paid off. Initially 9 weeks Total food replacement, then a break for 3 months followed by 6 weeks total food replacement.
My diet is mainly fresh, unprocessed foods. As I am human, I often fall from grace and indulge in food that makes me gain weight. Then I occasionally use the meal replacement products alongside real food to consume less than 1000 cals a day for a few weeks.
And yes, I would agree that seems contradiction to advocate fresh unprocessed food, but also, occasionally use processed food replacement products, but I reiterate, they are medicine to me.

I do not miss the fresh food when I am using the sachets because I don't always use them as total food replacement since I achieved the desired result of non-diabetic BG three and a half years ago.

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
A very valid question.
I regard Total food replacement products as medication. Thankfully, I do not have them long term, and thanks to the food replacement products I no longer need diabetes medication.
It was a cost benefit analysis. It paid off. Initially 9 weeks Total food replacement, then a break for 3 months followed by 6 weeks total food replacement.
My diet is mainly fresh, unprocessed foods. As I am human, I often fall from grace and indulge in food that makes me gain weight. Then I occasionally use the meal replacement products alongside real food to consume less than 1000 cals a day for a few weeks.
And yes, I would agree that seems contradiction to advocate fresh unprocessed food, but also, occasionally use processed food replacement products, but I reiterate, they are medicine to me.

I do not miss the fresh food when I am using the sachets because I don't always use them as total food replacement since I achieved the desired result of non-diabetic BG three and a half years ago.
Nice::))

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Rose, that's very kind of you, I'm feeling much better now, I know I can't be 100% on it being the Quorn and it's rare allergic reaction, but I'm 99% sure it was. Oh of course I forgot about egg, my teenager has been a vegetarian for 2 months now and still eats eggs :wideyed:

That's ok ... Some vegetarians do eat egg! I'm just an awkward vegetarian lol :rolleyes:

Many of the major supermarkets sell their own brand vegetarian products too... Your daughter maybe interested in some of them.

Glad you're feeling better now :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A very valid question.

Hi Pipp, can I ask what these medicinal meal replacement sachets are, as I have never tried anything like this. Also what medical benefits do they have, as you have got me interested? Thanks RRB

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
For some reason this thread makes me think of Gorn:
vasquezrocks-gornandcaptainkirk.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pipp, can I ask what these medicinal meal replacement sachets are, as I have never tried anything like this. Also what medical benefits do they have, as you have got me interested? Thanks RRB

I think I should have put medicine in inverted commas, because that is how I rationalised their use. They are just meal replacements commercially available, but I used them as a 'cure' for a chronic condition.

As T2 of 6 years duration, I was getting desperate as BG control was not being achieved by pharmaceutical means or recommended NHS diet. I saw the sensational media stories and read the academic papers about Prof Taylor and the team (Newcastle diet). I was being told that the only solution for me was bariatric surgery. I argued that it could be possible to achieve the same result by following the post surgery diet without having the surgery. Although in 2011 the research was in early stages I felt I was running out of time, and not prepared to wait until the research had been replicated and become mainstream.

Sorry I ramble.

The products I used initially were from Lipotrim. Have all nutrients required. Only available through pharmacy or GP. That is how I was able to justify defining it as a medicine. Unlike the Newcastle study, this was TOTAL food replacement. Nothing else but water, or tea or coffee with no milk. Checked weekly at pharmacy, and every 2 weeks with nurse. BG levels monitored several times a day by myself, BP and ketones in urine checked at pharmacy and nurse.

It was a conflict for me, as I really do not like synthetic foods, but I felt it was my last chance.

On the occasions that I need to use VLCD now I use Shake that Weight products, as you can have real food at the same time. It is now more a weight loss tool for me now rather than a diabetes reversal tool, as I haven't seen diabetic BG levels since Sept 2011. I still have a lot of weight to lose, and realise that this is putting me at risk of high BG levels returning. Sigh, I am human, I have moments of weakness, I like beer I love food, I sometimes eat to much of it.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for your reply Pipp, I can fully understand the 'medicinal' wording, sometimes, in life, we have to bite the bullet or bend like a tree in the wind.

Good luck for a positive outcome Pipp.

RRB :)

Jane the pain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have extreme reactions to queen but as soon as its out of my system I'm fine. I've eaten it three times and each time I've had severe vomiting and diahorrea along with a fever. All three times I have recovered by the next day.

I looked into it too and apparently it's a very common problem.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I have extreme reactions to queen but as soon as its out of my system I'm fine. I've eaten it three times and each time I've had severe vomiting and diahorrea along with a fever. All three times I have recovered by the next day.

Hi jane the pain,the stones turn me off.......hope your ok now,:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Once was enough for me Jane, never again :mad:

Janiept

Expert
Glad you're feeling better {{Hugs}}
So annoying though, that you never find out about these things until AFTER the event.
I had no idea what it was, but assumed as it's touted as 'healthy' and vegetarian, that it was at
least something natural, not completely manufactured.
Glad I've never tried it now. :arghh:
As a veggie, I have eaten it sometimes but am horrified after seeing the manufacturing process. How do they get away with promoting it as healthy and natural:***:
Another diabetic that won't be touching this 'mould' (substitute your own word) again. :yuck:

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As a veggie, I have eaten it sometimes but am horrified after seeing the manufacturing process. How do they get away with promoting it as healthy and natural:***:
Another diabetic that won't be touching this 'mould' (substitute your own word) again. :yuck:

MOULD
Monsterous
obnoxious
underlying
lethal
diarrhea
anyone want to do the word QUORN ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Glad you're feeling better {{Hugs}}
So annoying though, that you never find out about these things until AFTER the event.
I had no idea what it was, but assumed as it's touted as 'healthy' and vegetarian, that it was at
least something natural, not completely manufactured.
Glad I've never tried it now. :arghh:

I really am against this garbage and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, as I said, once was enough and thank you for the lovely hugs x

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Correlation and cause are not the same thing. Maybe it was a virus?

I eat quorn regularly with no problems, despIte being a food related anaphylaxis sufferer. While I appreciate may not suit everyone, I've never had a problem with it. Plenty of bacteria and fungus is everyday foods that do us no harm.