A weekend off type-1, now worse than ever!

carl0s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had a day off before - i.e. a day of constant hypos, and then just eating lunch without insulin, and testing at 7 - 8 mmol/l.

The weekend gone, I had a whole weekend of it, and almost the Monday too.

I ended up dropping my basal a bit, but now it's back at 10U at night.

On the weekend, I kept drinking cherry beer (bacchus), and gulping syrups (that you put in coffee). I skipped insulin with my 40-carb lunch, and then at night I had a full big Lion bar - 50gr-carbs - and it did nothing. I thought I was cured.

Anyway now I'm finding that my insulin is hardly working. I have over-done some biscuits today and yesterday, but i'm testing at 13 on minute, then 10 the next, then I have a couple of units, and i'm 13 again.

Suspect my insulin has maybe got too warm. I take it to work with me.

Anyone else have these 'cured' days? It's happened one day in the past, and then two days this weekend gone. I thought it might have been because I gave up clomipramine - but I was only taking 3mg anyway, which is a third of the smallest tablet they do - barely even an active dose. Also wondered if it was the Steel Panther, waking up my sleepy pancreas, as well as the rest of me.

carl0s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
I had the same experience a few days ago. Im type 1 on 4-6 injections a day of Novorapid and Lantus. Sometimes I think my pancreas makes some of its own insulin and keeps you going randomly then it fails and you go back to hay wire sugars again! Look at my picture lol. Weird eh?

Cx

BG.jpg

carl0s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah that sounds like what's happening.

I just had to google QA, BI, etc, and I figured out what CP was but didn't realise they were in 10s (thought you just ate tiny portions!) :)

So 1 unit insulin per 3 grams? That's a lot isn't it! Do lots of people require so much? I'm new to this.. I'm doing 1:10 with corrective doses at the 1.5-2hr point if needed. Lantus & Novorapid like you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never had a ''cured day'' before and have always taken my insulin, even when I wasn't that well controlled.

I think the lesson learnt here is you should avoid ''cured day'' and take your insulin as instructed, sorry to be harsh but sometimes you have to get straight to the point.

carl0s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry but if I had taken more insulin with BGs of 4mmol/l, I'd be dead.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

You make no mention of a reading of 4mmol in your previous posts, the point is your elevated bg readings over the last few days is a good enough reason why you should not have these ''cured days''.

carl0s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I see. Well I think my insulin has got too warm. I have been back on my usual routine since Monday, having thrown yet another pen away.

Over the weekend I was having constant hypos throughout the day - as in below 4mmol/l. 3.2, etc. I drank/ate sugary stuff, and had lunch without insulin, and still never went above 7.5. It would then drop drop again.. So for that day, taking further insulin would have been a bad idea I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi there, no I've never had a cured day in my 25 years of type 1 ,but I have never deliberately skipped the insulin doses. My doses are 1 to 10 carbs and a correction of 1 unit to bring it down by 3, but it doesn't always work out that way.. Sorry but I can't comment on the above, as unsure of the content, but pleased to hear you are ok and probably/hopefully you wouldn't be dead:eek: Unfortunately for many, a day off is just something we day dream about:angelic: Take care now.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ah I see. Well I think my insulin has got too warm. I have been back on my usual routine since Monday, having thrown yet another pen away.

Over the weekend I was having constant hypos throughout the day - as in below 4mmol/l. 3.2, etc. I drank/ate sugary stuff, and had lunch without insulin, and still never went above 7.5. It would then drop drop again.. So for that day, taking further insulin would have been a bad idea I think.

Ah I understand now, as that wasn't mentioned,thanks:)