A Year On...

michael88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, hope everyone is well! I would like to firstly thank everyone on here for help and support over the last year it's really helped me take on diabetes and live a normal life as before.

Come last Thursday (dead on a year) I have found it extremely difficult to keep my levels under 12mmol. I may have had quite a long honeymoon period and suddenly stopped, I was at a ration of about 15 carbs to 1 unit prior now I'm looking at easily around 5 carbs to 1 unit within about 4 days. I have got a cold at the moment and not sure if this is contributing to this.

My last diabetic appointment was over 9 months ago, the hospital did say they would contact me after 6 months. I wasn't sure if this was if I had any "major problems" so didn't want to ring to cause a fuss over nothing. Am I supposed to keep up these yearly checks as a procedure? I realise the eye/foot clinic is one too keep on top of.

I was told I was being to strict on my body when visiting before and give myself a bit of leeway as I become very obsessed with having bloods at 5 but o think the honeymoon period give me that help to keep good levels. I'm starting to feel a bit lost with it all again to be honest and feeling a bit rubbish! (Although I guess having a cold isn't helping)

Thanks again everyone and I appreciate taking the time to read this

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, hope everyone is well! I would like to firstly thank everyone on here for help and support over the last year it's really helped me take on diabetes and live a normal life as before.

Come last Thursday (dead on a year) I have found it extremely difficult to keep my levels under 12mmol. I may have had quite a long honeymoon period and suddenly stopped, I was at a ration of about 15 carbs to 1 unit prior now I'm looking at easily around 5 carbs to 1 unit within about 4 days. I have got a cold at the moment and not sure if this is contributing to this.

My last diabetic appointment was over 9 months ago, the hospital did say they would contact me after 6 months. I wasn't sure if this was if I had any "major problems" so didn't want to ring to cause a fuss over nothing. Am I supposed to keep up these yearly checks as a procedure? I realise the eye/foot clinic is one too keep on top of.

I was told I was being to strict on my body when visiting before and give myself a bit of leeway as I become very obsessed with having bloods at 5 but o think the honeymoon period give me that help to keep good levels. I'm starting to feel a bit lost with it all again to be honest and feeling a bit rubbish! (Although I guess having a cold isn't helping)

Hi Michael,

Yea the appointments are to take blood and check your overall health and speak with dietitians etc. Usually every 6 months like you said.

My carb ratio is similar but I'm still trying to figure mine out it's definitely less than 1:10

Also having a cold and being ill in any way will definitely play havoc with your glucose levels. I'm usually 15mmol on average when I'm ill but I just increase my normal insulin dose by 1 unit

I've had diabetes for 16 years and I have no idea what I'm doing haha! I'm only just now getting an idea of carb counting and such. Luckily I've not had any problems apart from some retinopathy but apparently it's still reversible so yea give yourself some leeway but I think it's good that you're on the ball keeping it near 5.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Reactions: nessa1970

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi! Just ring the diabetic nurse at the hospital and say it's been 9 mons etc. Sometimes we slip through the net. Have you been on a DAPHNE or BERTIE course yet? I did the BERTIE course earlier this year and it was excellent! Went over all the stuff I'd learned on my Living with Diabetes course (a course they put u on here in Bournemouth in your first year of being diagnosed). But lots of advice was added and information is definitely king! Your high sugar levels definitely sound a result of the cold. My happy number is supposed to be 6 but anything between 4 and 8 is acceptable. I'm happier at 5. They saw all my figures on the course and seemed pleased. My HbA1c was 43 at last check.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How often should you see/chat with your DSN? Do you still have to if you are still being reviewed by an Endo consultant? I'm still in the early days but it would be useful to know for when my hospital appointments (hopefully) become a bit more sparse.
Not got a lot of faith in my assigned DSN. Never calls at the time we arrange but always makes it out like it's somehow my fault for not waiting in all day for her call. Last arranged a call end of March...she never called. And I've had no reason to bother her since but if I need to hassle her to stay on the radar then I will.
Kat

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At Bournemouth hospital it was like this. I saw the DSNs first and was put on insulin. During that first month I saw them several times as well as the consultant and a dietitian. I was put on the living with diabetes course which was four 2 hour classes every three months. These sessions were hosted by the DSNs, a dietitian, our psychologist and the consultant attended the last one. I was told to call with the slightest problem or question and to leave a message and they would get back to me asap. They always have. I see the consultant every 6 mons but I can always get an appointment with any of the team - I just ring. Unless I call and ask to see them I won't hear from them. On top of this I see my GP for an annual review. She does my foot and injection site checks. Also I asked the hospital team to put me on the BERTIE course and attended that. It consisted of 4 consecutive Mondays, 9am to 3pm - lunch too! Luckily it was run by the team I already knew so it was great fun as well as educational!

michael88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your advice everyone, I will be sure to call and make an appointment shortly. My bloods stabilised a little last night but back up to 19/20s tonight - I thort I was getting it out the system but might be making a comeback. I can't complain about the hospital at first I seen them every month for 4 months but wasn't sure what to do as my last appointment said I was doing so well they would contact me in 6 months with a date for next check up. As above it may have just slipped through the net. Back to bed I think and will ring them first thing tomorrow

Reactions: Sibyl

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How often should you see/chat with your DSN? Do you still have to if you are still being reviewed by an Endo consultant? I'm still in the early days but it would be useful to know for when my hospital appointments (hopefully) become a bit more sparse.

You only see a DSN if your having issues with your diabetes control so the regular appointment with the Endo is enough , if at the appointment they think that you would benefit from seeing a DSN's then they will arrange for you to see one.

But between your review you can ring up the diabetes clinic with any problems and usually a DSN will speak with you or call you back.

@michael88 ,

I agree with @Sibyl that you should chase the appointment up, if you have a look at the following link it list the 15 Healthcare Essentials that people with diabetes should expect to receive:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-t...ntials/What-are-the-15-Healthcare-Essentials/

Reactions: michael88

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Michael,

Diabetes can sometimes feel like a whole new disease when your honeymoon period ends. You may have to relearn a lot of things, and change your expectations. It may seem like more than you bargained for. Just remember that there are plenty of tools to get on top of it again, and although you may have not needed them before, try to embrace them now.

Cheers

Reactions: Sibyl

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Trying to keep bs at 5 is almost mission impossible. I am happy when it lower then 8 or even 9 in some cases. 5 is only 1 away from the well accepted level of hypo starting 4. managing T1 is a constant up and down and adjusting. But you will get the hang of it I am sure