A1c 7.8

GeminiJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone
I had an appointment with my Consultant today my A1c came back at 7.8 (I know it needs to be lower) but my bg meter was showing a three month average of 11mmol.....my consultant seemed to think the two different readings didn’t quite match up and has asked me to try and lower it as well as bookig me a follow up appointment in three months time...any opinions on the 7.8 reading please!!??!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
According to this, with an hba1c of 7.8 your average bg has been 9.8mmol/l. That's only a 1.2 difference with 11mmol/l, so pretty close. Especially as you probably dont usually test during the first hour after eating, which is when most people spike highest.
Have you looked into the freestyle libre? It's expensive, but it might very helpful in finding out if you should take your mealtime insulin a bit longer before eating, or if you regularly eat foods that spike you more and longer than you wish.
Good luck!

GeminiJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you, very interesting...my consultant did recommend that I now bolus 15 mins before eating....I have the Medtronic 640g and will probably have to use the enlite sensors more often to get a hold on things even though they’re very expensive!