• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

A1c result in!

Taighnamona

Well-Known Member
Messages
93
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Now 39 down from 41 in April so very happy about that.
I’m T2 on a very low dose of basal insulin and 1 x 500mg Metformin. I self fund Dexcom1+ currently.
My last overall cholesterol was 3.6 but it’s now 6.5. I’ve been eating lots more fats, cheeses etc on my low carb lifestyle but I also stopped taking my 10mg Atorvastatin because I thought 3.6 was very low and want to avoid any memory/dementia problems.
So big decision to make… I know fats in the blood can increase when losing weight and ultimately stabilise but in protecting myself against memory loss/ dementia have I opened myself up to possible heart probs.
I’m 75 and female.
Anyone with further insight?
 

Taighnamona - you need to follow the advice of your GP. Don't stop taking your statin without their say so - especially if your cholesterol is higher. I'm on low carb - but don't touch cheese or fats because of high tryglycerides. 10mg statin is the lowest dose - with increased cholesterol you are likely to be prescribed a higher dose. Ask your GP for specific dietary advice that targets T2 and cholesterol.​

 

Taighnamona - you need to follow the advice of your GP. Don't stop taking your statin without their say so - especially if your cholesterol is higher. I'm on low carb - but don't touch cheese or fats because of high tryglycerides. 10mg statin is the lowest dose - with increased cholesterol you are likely to be prescribed a higher dose. Ask your GP for specific dietary advice that targets T2 and cholesterol.​

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. You have given an interesting perspective.
 
Back
Top