Abbott Freestyle Libre Reader

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone please tell me if the Freestyle Libre reader has any sort of built in timer or alarm clock that can be set for injection or meal times?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone please tell me if the Freestyle Libre reader has any sort of built in timer or alarm clock that can be set for injection or meal times?

It does.

nickolasn

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had two weeks with sensor readings that are well below the readings I have had using a freestyle optimum reader. I have concluded that freestyle libre sensor is not accurate compared to the standard finger prick with the freestyle optima reader both from the same company. I understand that there is a plus /minus 15% vs actual blood sugar levels but with 8 days of back to back testing I have a complete distrust of this technology. Abbots need to improve this reader or stop selling it as it under states my glucose level by a long way. I love the convenience but I have to trust it which today I don't.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you contacted Abbott to discuss your concerns at all? In my experience, they have been happy to discuss any concerns I have and to replace any sensors they agree have not met the accepted, industry-wide standards.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, could you expand on this a bit. Does it have both a timer and an alarm clock ?
It certainly has a timed alarm, e.g. 6am every day or whatever, and I am certain you can set reminders in the meter functionality. I don't routinely use the timer functionality as it isn't my "usual" meter, so that's not at the forefront of my mind.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, could you expand on this a bit. Does it have both a timer and an alarm clock ?

Apologies, @jimmax - I mistook you for the original poster.

If you have a Libre, you could look it up, if not, perhaps someone else who has ready access, or more intimate knowledge than me of the meter functionality could you you out.

TimWJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies, @jimmax - I mistook you for the original poster.

If you have a Libre, you could look it up, if not, perhaps someone else who has ready access, or more intimate knowledge than me of the meter functionality could you you out.

I don't use any timer or alarms, but have observed that you can set multiple daily alarms.After a low glucose ready it prompts if you want a reminder to check again in 15mins, and after a high glucose reading it prompts to set up a reminder to check again after 1 or 2 hours. I don't think it has any other timer functions.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use any timer or alarms, but have observed that you can set multiple daily alarms.After a low glucose ready it prompts if you want a reminder to check again in 15mins, and after a high glucose reading it prompts to set up a reminder to check again after 1 or 2 hours. I don't think it has any other timer functions.

As I suggested above, I don't have my documents ready to hand, nor am I currently using a sensor, but I had a feeling you could set a reminder after certain events, like carbs, insulin or even just another finger prick test. I could be very wrong on that though.

TimWJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had another play and when you set an alarm it has a type that can either be daily, once or timer. The 1st 2 choices allow setting of a time of day, the timer option gives duration in hours and minutes. So It looks pretty flexible with multiple alarms and timers.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had another play and when you set an alarm it has a type that can either be daily, once or timer. The 1st 2 choices allow setting of a time of day, the timer option gives duration in hours and minutes. So It looks pretty flexible with multiple alarms and timers.

Thanks Tim. That's pretty much as I recalled it, but I couldn't be 100% certain.

Are you a user yourself, and if so, do you find it to be beneficial to your management?

TimWJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Tim. That's pretty much as I recalled it, but I couldn't be 100% certain.

Are you a user yourself, and if so, do you find it to be beneficial to your management?

Yes, I have been a continuous Libre user since June, .I live by it and now would be completely lost without it. I soon went allergic to the glue and have to go through a performance of putting the sensor on a compeed plaster every 2 weeks, Recently I have had accuracy problems, but just having the direction my BG is going it so useful even if the actual reading is way off. It is not perfect and lacks any alarm, but the alternative of a Dexcom is out of my affordability range, However the DIY Dexcom reader as described by Tim2000s looks very attractive.

Reactions: 2 people

nickolasn

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you contacted Abbott to discuss your concerns at all? In my experience, they have been happy to discuss any concerns I have and to replace any sensors they agree have not met the accepted, industry-wide standards.
Thank you I will contact them today

nickolasn

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Spoke to Abbott yesterday very helpful and understood my concern about the large variance between the libre scan reader and the finger prick blood test with the optima. They suggested I scan first with libre then wait 15 mins to take blood and use optima. If the variance is still high they said they would replace the reader. I asked for an explanation as to why 15 wait as I could not understand why the readings would be more in line. They could not answer the question but I started this today and in next 48 hours I should be able to collate the findings which I can share. If libre can work to the same accuracy as the finger prick optima I'm all in favour but if it can't then I will not purchase any More sensors.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spoke to Abbott yesterday very helpful and understood my concern about the large variance between the libre scan reader and the finger prick blood test with the optima. They suggested I scan first with libre then wait 15 mins to take blood and use optima. If the variance is still high they said they would replace the reader. I asked for an explanation as to why 15 wait as I could not understand why the readings would be more in line. They could not answer the question but I started this today and in next 48 hours I should be able to collate the findings which I can share. If libre can work to the same accuracy as the finger prick optima I'm all in favour but if it can't then I will not purchase any More sensors.

I may be able to help a little, I hope.

The reason for the 15 minute time difference is because your Libre measures, based on interstitial fluid, whereas your finger prick test uses capillary blood, not interstitial fluid.

I think if Abbott were going to replace anything it would be your sensor, rather than the reader, but I could be very wrong on that.

I'm pleased you felt you had a useful exchange with them. I always find them helpful and courteous on the phone.

Reactions: 2 people

nickolasn

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having now checked libre sensor readings with optima finger prick testing with 15 min gaps
the high variance still exists so I will report this back to abbot. I am not feeling confident this technology works

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having now checked libre sensor readings with optima finger prick testing with 15 min gaps
the high variance still exists so I will report this back to abbot. I am not feeling confident this technology works

As you are not insulin dependent, it really doesn't matter. They are great for spotting trends. All we non-insulin people need to know are upward or downward trends and possible reasons, and the Libre tells us this in far more detail than finger prickers. The graphs, averages, and logs show when your line goes wavy, and if you make notes you can work out why. For example, a full bladder affects my readings, which I would never have known. Walking and having a bath does not affect me anywhere near as much as I previously thought, I know what happens when I have a glass of wine BEFORE a meal, I have learnt what and when my peaks are (they are so difficult to catch by finger pricking) It has been a boon to show what happens overnight, and given me great pleasure to know I have more or less a flat line all night, lower than I imagined. I have also learnt more about my morning dawn phenomenon and many other things.

I would also ask if you believe your finger is accurate? If you do, it must be a very special finger pricker. ;)

In my (limited) experience of the Libre, each sensor has varied in how much lower than my finger pricker it reads, but, and this is important, on the whole, each sensor is consistent with hardly any rogue readings. So if you do some calibration tests with your finger pricker and work out the average difference in some low and higher readings, all you need to do is add that difference to the readings. You will have to do this with each sensor. My last sensor was virtually spot on - less than 0.3mmol/l difference on average. The 2 previous ones were lower than that, but still consistent. The only downside I've had is they can be erratic during the first few hours despite attaching it 30 or more hours before activating it.

Reactions: 3 people

nickolasn

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks will try to find correlation and appreciate my finger prick is also not accurate. It would be great one day to have libre technology as accurate as a blood test. I'm sure with more data algorithms can be improved. One thing I believe Abbott don't do is request data to help them improve the product.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks will try to find correlation and appreciate my finger prick is also not accurate. It would be great one day to have libre technology as accurate as a blood test. I'm sure with more data algorithms can be improved. One thing I believe Abbott don't do is request data to help them improve the product.

I hate to be a pedant, but finger prick meters have percentage tolerance allowable, by law, so nothing is guaranteed to be correct. Whilst I don't know it, I feel pretty certain even lab test machines will have allowable variance tolerances, though probably significantly narrower than anything we can buy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having used... um... 7? sensors, i calibrate them against a few prick tests, then i actually trust them far more than prick tests.

Oh, not for insulin - i don't use it, but i have tried 3 different brands of prick testers in the last three years, and the Libre gives FAR better, more useful info.

Besides, it is the trends, not the individual readings that we are looking for.
Meals, circumstances and timings all need to be repeated (with a pint of salt) before drawing any conclusions.
There are always wildcards like sleep deprivation and fatigue, variable insulin resistance, exercise and stress levels that affect things. The Libre is an astonishing tool for gaining an understanding of those.

Having said that, it is new technology, and the odd sensor goes wangy. Just like the odd test strip does. Abbott are accommodating when this happens.