about to go onto Insulin

kelvinclarke

Dislikes
smoking and smokers
Hi all,
i Currently take Gliclazide and victoza. My last hb1ac was 11.2 (112) and my pre breakfast is 13.2, 2 hours post breakfast and victoza and it's 17.2. I need to have 2 different surgeries but the hospital wont touch me until my bs is 6.5 (48) so my diabetic nurse is putting me on Insulin from the 6th of February. I can't remember the name of the insulin type just that it began with an r and would be a once a day shot starting with 12 units and increasing 2 units every 3 days until sufficient control is established. What can i expect to happen when i go onto Insulin? How long does it take to educate me in it's usage? and what pen and meter should i be thinking about? any help appreciated as i am not looking forward to being on insulin after 14 years of reasonable control.

victorhill

hi just to say have been on insulin for 55 years
i think after a time you will find that you will feel a lot better but you will have to just take care when you go low not so bad when you you are high
the main thing when you start 4 BLOOD SUGARS IS A MUST ON INSULIN A DAY ...OK

say before all meals i.e. breakfast ..lunch..tea ..poss last thing at night also when you feel low i.e. trembles or loud noise that a good sign for me . but you will no as you go along
also my tip if at any time of the day your bloods sugars are high 3 DAY IN A ROW say before lunch you have to only slight stages to increase you insulin 4 hous early before breakfast .

good luck good health always have some fast acting glucose with you where every you go walking shopping or driving
ie mars bars lunch bars that count say 25 grams of carbs in one go

vic hill hope this helps a tiny bit

judy.suirane

Just a question as I'm new to all this. I am on levemir 20 units at 10pm . My mornings are great with by under 6. My pre bed levels fluctuate between 6 and 15! It seems the levemir has run out after supper. Should I be takng a split dose of 10 units one at 10 pm and one at 10 am? Confused!!

Thanks
Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk