Abscess worry.

babsal

I currently have a jaw/tooth abcess. My dentist has given me strong anti biopics yesterday. Problem is that my tongue is swollen and one side of my face swollen too,
I can't eat and can barely drink, I have type 2diabetes on metformin and glikazide, so need to eat. Fell really quite ill with this so any advice would be really helpful
Louise.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My advice is to go the hospital emergency department today, because I'm not certain your dentist has done the right thing. Surely an abscess involving the jaw and a tooth is more serious than just going home and taking antibiotics? I've never had one but I've heard a few stories of people having them, and they always seemed to get a tooth taken out, or minor surgery done to drain the abscess. I have had an abscess elsewhere on the body and it was very painful, with a high fever, and I needed surgery to drain it.

It sounds really painful for you. A doctor might give you strong pain meds, or even admit you to hospital for IV antibiotics and other treatment. I think at the very least a second opinion from a dentist is needed, and seeing a doctor might be even better. You could have quite a fever. I hope you get some help asap.

In the meantime, holding some ice cubes in a bag on the side of your face might ease the pain and swelling. Drinking pureed food through a straw might be possible? Small spoonfuls of scrambled egg?

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had quite a few abscesses over the years, all have been treated by antibiotics from dentist before he/she can extract or whatever

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You need to contact your dentist asp as could be the abscess or an allergy to the antibiotic.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I've had quite a few abscesses over the years, all have been treated by antibiotics from dentist before he/she can extract or whatever
Did they involve the jaw as well as the tooth, and did you have tongue and facial swelling? It sounds very painful :(

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did they involve the jaw as well as the tooth, and did you have tongue and facial swelling? It sounds very painful :(
yes and i did go back to dentist when it seemed to get worse but all i was told is nothing can be done till antibiotics clears the infection

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
yes and i did go back to dentist when it seemed to get worse but all i was told is nothing can be done till antibiotics clears the infection
Ok thanks, good to know. I imagine this condition can be problem in diabetics since our bodies can take longer to clear infections.

babsal

Well started antibiotics on Thursday. Am still in incredible pain, even my normal dose of oramorph is not helping. Must admit it has stopped swelling and I can now suck soup with a straw. On the other side, so maybe this is the turning point. Thank you so much for all of your help .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well started antibiotics on Thursday. Am still in incredible pain, even my normal dose of oramorph is not helping. Must admit it has stopped swelling and I can now suck soup with a straw. On the other side, so maybe this is the turning point. Thank you so much for all of your help .
Glad things are improving, but sorry to hear about the level of pain. Can you ask for more pain meds for a few days?