1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Absolute newbie - gestational diabetes??

Discussion in 'Gestational Diabetes' started by gilliana1, Oct 28, 2008.

1. gilliana1

gilliana1 · Newbie

I'm 37 weeks pregnant and just found out today that I have gestational diabetes, which must have gone undetected for some time as I'm carrying a huge huge baby (>10 pounds). I'm embarassed to say I know nothing about diabetes. :oops:

The hospital have had me pricking my finger and doing some home test for the last 5 days. I'm off to see consultant at end of the week to understand more about this, but am worrying myself to death since I heard today. My 2 hour post-meal tests are in the range of 8.4-9.6. Is that very bad? I heard that if I 'diet' then the results can be lowered? Is this true and what shouldn't i be eating (and what can I eat... don't want to starve?!). Does anyone know if my baby is going to be OK if he as had too much sugar throughout my pregnancy? I'm not so worried about me.. but my little one. The midwife said I may not be able to have a vaginal birth now, has anyone ever been in the same boat?

Thank you so much,
    Gilliana

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

The medics are usually very good about caring for diabetic mothers. you say "diet". Reducing your intake of sugars and starches would help you control your blood sugar and wouldn't deprive your baby of any essential nutrients

3. jacquirs

jacquirs · Well-Known Member

good luck with the baby that sounds like a whopper!

hopefully things will get back once he/she is out

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook