Absorption problems/new infusion sets

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After 14 years of pump cannulas, first Roche then Medtronic I have started to have problems with absorption needing to change my sets after 2/ 2.5 days maximum. My legs and thighs are no go zones after 37 years of injecting. I have a small band of usable places under my rib cage, below my belly button is reserved for my CGM sensors.

I'm limited to where I can reach to put sets in unless helped as I've only got central vision in one eye so just can't see well enough to use round my back/bottom.

Have any of you had better luck with different cannulas or is it that if your skin is generally lumpy and bumpy from years of injecting the problem won't be improved by changing to a different infusion set? Just trying to find out if anyone has overcome this problem by changing cannula type before I see what else is available to try. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Flowerpot, the best sets I have found for absorption are the angled sets. I've been on insulin for 50 years. Thighs and arms are out of bounds for me, so have just used belly for last 8 years.

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks CarbsRok, I'm using a straight cannula set at the moment, I'll ring Medtronic and see which angled sets they have. It's frustrating when something that has worked well for years starts playing up.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also have reduced sight and started to have these issues. I use inset IIs but would have tried steel sets next as having researched this that can help, especially a slightly longer length.

Right now I have found using Bio oil on sites (rub it really hard into your pumping areas) and taking a skin supplement with biotin has helped settle my sites quite a bit. How much extra time this will buy me I'm not sure yet though!

The other option is a pump holiday to give your pumping sites a break.

Reactions: 4 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you both.

I will ask my DSN next week for a trial of some steel cannulas as the idea of a pump holiday doesn't appeal. I'm reliant on CGM as I have no hypo awareness and Lantus caused me frightening night time hypos. I will buy some Bio Oil and try to break down some of the smaller lumps and hope things improve.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you both.

I will ask my DSN next week for a trial of some steel cannulas as the idea of a pump holiday doesn't appeal. I'm reliant on CGM as I have no hypo awareness and Lantus caused me frightening night time hypos. I will buy some Bio Oil and try to break down some of the smaller lumps and hope things improve.
Hi Flowerpot, can you not just phone Medtronic so they can send you a couple of trial cannulas? That was all I did when sorting out a suitable cannula, this was Animas though.
Personally I found the steel cannulas awful. I liked them for a couple of weeks and that was it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people