Acceptable to most or none?

Julie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, after a long absence due to other health issues I'm now able to focus on my diabetes properly. My HbA1c is now 42 and I'm restarting my monitoring of my usual meals.
A particular favourite lunch gave the following readings:
6.4, 9.5 (highest level of the day) and returning to 6.2
Would this be an acceptable rise?
Breakfast gave readings of 7.4, 8.1 returning to 7.1
My evening meal barely spiked at all - 6.2, 6.4, 6.1

I'm just curious as to whether others would include such a lunch?

Thank you.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't be too upset by a rise of 3 mmol/l after a meal. The meter may be partially responsible since it can vary by +/- 1 mmol/l and still be considered accurate. Maybe note this as a possible problem , and next time either portion limit or split into two keeping one in the fridge or freezer for later? Or ask for a doggy bag if eating out? Maybe relegate it to 'special occasions' or blue moon events.

i suspect you are suffering some Liver Dump since your pre breakfast is higher than your daytime readings. Are you doing TWOMAD and the lunch was an extra curricular activity?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be helpful if you say when the three readings for each meal are taken, i’m guessing before first bite then 1 hr and 2 hrs after? Your lunchtime favourite may show better readings if you have it as your evening meal, when generally insulin resistance is lower.

Julie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to you both for the input. I am now eating three meals a day whereas I used to skip breakfast. I should have started that readings were at 1st bite then 1 hour and 2 hours. Interesting about changing the timing of certain meals. And I could certainly have split my lunch into two small portions. Plenty to think about. Thanks again.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I,d eat that same meal again and retest. There are so many variables that can affect bg, food is the main but not the only one

Julie1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I will do that later today as I aim to test each of my regular meals two or three times. I have a record of some from my last effort. Thanks for posting.
I checked my levels overnight as I'm interested in this liver dump theory and they were 5.9 (2am) 6.4 (4am) and 5.8 on rising at 7. I had fasted from 5pm. I want to read more about intermittent fasting so I can decide, or experiment to see for myself, whether regular meals or I.F. is the way to go.

Reactions: Oldvatr