Acceptance is the way forward for type 1

louby

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Acceptance is not really what any one wants to do when they are told they have Type 1 diabetes, but realistically what choice do you have.... none, if you want to live a long and healthy life. By accepting and allowing this chronic illness to become part of your new life, you will be making your own life and those around you more positive. Emotions and feelings are obviously allowed to creep in now and again, but you have to decide that you will control the diabetes and it will not control you.

Acceptance is about understanding your illness and your body and how your body reacts, as we are all different. This condition is now with you for life, so it may as well become your friend not your enemy. To be actively aware of your own body, being responsible for blood monitoring and eating healthy, understanding the diet required of diabetics. Courses designed like daphne, allow diabetics to be "normal" , and creates awareness of different food types and the impact they have on the body.

My son was diagnosed 4 months ago, I feel as his mum, it has actually affected me more than him, he has amazingly adjusted fantastically, gone from initial hba1c on diagnosis of 11.2 to 3 months later hba1c 5.6 . He monitors his sugars levels 4 times daily and also keeps a note of his diet, his sugar levels have come down from 11-18 to within normal range 4-8. he has experienced hypos and knows how to treat them as well as having the knowledge of the symptoms of them.

If anyone newly diagnosed is reading this please be aware of the importance of recording your sugar levels every time you get behind the wheel to drive, standards say it should be no less than 5.6, for long journeys testing every hour or two is advisable.

Good luck to anyone who has been newly diagnosed, read as much as you can and sap your diabetic nurse of every piece of information you can. There are foundation courses the nhs run for newly diagnosed to meet people in a similar position and to share experiences .

Reactions: 11 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for posting :)

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wholeheartedly agree with what you say about acceptance louby, really pleased your lad is doing so well!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

baz2107

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Totally agree with this post, should be shown to anyone newly diagnosed.

Been diagnosed for 5 months now, the first month or 2 was really hard-I got used to needles pretty quickly and have no problem injecting even though I was scared stiff before. My main problem was mentally, went through stages of believing I wasn't diabetic and that the nurses were wrong (as I was on so little insulin due to honeymooning) I then started to over analyse every reading I got and it made me irratible and difficult to live with.

Once I gained a better understanding, and found some consistency I have a lot more control and feel much happier, and it is now just part of every day life for me, but I am a lot more aware of my health and take more care than previously.

It is very important to have support of your family.

Reactions: 6 people

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well been type 1 now for 15 months, when i was diagnosed i was somehow releived . honestly i was thinking i had something very seriously wrong regarding all the urining i was doing all night . the diabetic nurse at the hospital showed me the insulin pen and how it worked settings etc was a major help. when i had to inject myself in front of her was a bit strange. after that well i didnt know if i was doing right from wrong then i got used to it. ok ive had a couple of ups and downs not wanting to take my insulin , but im now in the swing of things 4 injections a day. can be a bit of a thing exspecially if your out for a meal having to carry the gear,but thats life.

Reactions: 6 people

Hebe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wish I'd of seen this when was first diagnosed as I was in denial for a long time and it to a while for it to sink in
:)great post

louby

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all your positive responses to my post. My son will be 20 in march, on diagnoses he thought he life was ruined. I suppose he Google far too much, as we all do, and only picked out the worst parts and they prayed on his mind. Initially he was in shock and didn't really understand the condition, but after scaring himself silly he became really down for a day or 2 until I reminded him that ok, yes he had diabetes, he would still live a long and healthy life IF he complied. I told him we are all at risk of something, no-ones health is guaranteed, people have accidents, and that at least he was able to live life to the full and was not paralyzed or had a brain injury, and that I myself had no guarantee that I would not be cleared up on the way to work. I had to be hard to him, to shake him out of feeling sorry for himself and to become positive about this, and that diabetes would not become the devil sitting on his shoulder. At the time I am not sure where I got the strength from though, as all I really wanted to do was cry myself and hug him saying why us, why you, but where would that of got any of us. He was telling me all the risks about kidneys , eyes etc, and I myself work with renal patients and know too well that there renal failure is due to diabetes. I reminded him yes there are risks of that, like there are risks with everything too, and with his new condition he would have certain restrictions for the rest of his life.

He has become very confident with his new life now, and diabetes does not stop him doing anything. He will still go clubbing with his mates, He goes to the gym, is a very keen Ice skater, holds down a full time job, etc, He has gradually adjusted his life to cope with the daily tasks of blood sugar monitoring, injecting, and always being aware to have something with him in-case of hypos. He is even looking forward to another lads holiday this year with his mates.

Anyone reading this who is newly diagnosed, you will adjust, give yourself time,your life will be as normal as you let it, and remember that life is uncertain for us all.

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all your positive responses to my post. My son will be 20 in march, on diagnoses he thought he life was ruined. I suppose he Google far too much, as we all do, and only picked out the worst parts and they prayed on his mind. Initially he was in shock and didn't really understand the condition, but after scaring himself silly he became really down for a day or 2 until I reminded him that ok, yes he had diabetes, he would still live a long and healthy life IF he complied. I told him we are all at risk of something, no-ones health is guaranteed, people have accidents, and that at least he was able to live life to the full and was not paralyzed or had a brain injury, and that I myself had no guarantee that I would not be cleared up on the way to work. I had to be hard to him, to shake him out of feeling sorry for himself and to become positive about this, and that diabetes would not become the devil sitting on his shoulder. At the time I am not sure where I got the strength from though, as all I really wanted to do was cry myself and hug him saying why us, why you, but where would that of got any of us. He was telling me all the risks about kidneys , eyes etc, and I myself work with renal patients and know too well that there renal failure is due to diabetes. I reminded him yes there are risks of that, like there are risks with everything too, and with his new condition he would have certain restrictions for the rest of his life.

He has become very confident with his new life now, and diabetes does not stop him doing anything. He will still go clubbing with his mates, He goes to the gym, is a very keen Ice skater, holds down a full time job, etc, He has gradually adjusted his life to cope with the daily tasks of blood sugar monitoring, injecting, and always being aware to have something with him in-case of hypos. He is even looking forward to another lads holiday this year with his mates.

Anyone reading this who is newly diagnosed, you will adjust, give yourself time,your life will be as normal as you let it, and remember that life is uncertain for us all.
I have the deepest admiration for parents who have to cope with their children being diagnosed diabetic, particularly t1.

It sounds like your son is very fortunate to have you as his mom. Your pragmatic attitude towards diabetes, away from melodrama and self pity, has undoubtedly helped him to accept and adjust well to his disease.

I pray that my parenting skills will never have to be tested in this way, as I am not sure I would not be found wanting!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

louby

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the deepest admiration for parents who have to cope with their children being diagnosed diabetic, particularly t1.

It sounds like your son is very fortunate to have you as his mom. Your pragmatic attitude towards diabetes, away from melodrama and self pity, has undoubtedly helped him to accept and adjust well to his disease.

I pray that my parenting skills will never have to be tested in this way, as I am not sure I would not be found wanting!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thank you pavlosn, Like my son though I too do not have a choice, I was beyond devastated when I found out this diagnosis especially as I work in the medical field and now the complications associated with type 1, , but he is my son, and I am determined this will not destroy us as a family or him as a person, luckily he is young enough to adjust and a sensible young man, , and as a parent, I will absolutely ensure he continues to be as positive and responsible to live in harmony with this. I too pray your parenting skills may never have to be tested, but I can assure you, for your kids somehow from somewhere you find the strength and courage to deal with it.