Accepted a pump

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys and gals,
I've recently been accepted as I meet the criteria for a pump. I have Dawn Phenomenon. I am excited about getting the pump as many people say how it helps them but am also nervous as having injected for many years have that routine so will have to learn the new routine.

I will be getting the pump in October so was wondering if anyone had any advice ant tips for a newbee?

The pump I have chosen is the Accu-Chek Insight Insulin Pump System, so if anyone is using that one any pros and cons would be good!

Cheers
Jim

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's great news @JimC :)

Try and read up on pumping before your start date, a good book to purchase is Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts, also make sure you attend the pre-pump training sessions with your DSN and the post-pump training sessions that are sometimes offered by the pump reps.

It will be a little strange at first not injecting but you'll soon get into your new routine, hope it all goes well for you.

Reactions: himtoo and JimC

MagicFirefly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dangerous drivers
Marmite
That's great news!

I've had my pump for over 6years now and I couldn't be happier. It has literally changed my life.
As previously mentioned, you should attend all the information sessions and talk to your diabetes nurse about any worries you have/
It does take a bit of getting used to, but it's not impossible. There will be an adjustment period where you and your nurse will figure out how much insulin you need but if you already change your dose with carb counting, you're half way there.

Please get let me know if there's anything you want to know from another pump user.

Good luck!

Diamummy_

Type of diabetes
Carer
My daughter has an insight pump and it's great, it's so user friendly that even she can use it and she's 4 hehe, good luck with it all

Reactions: himtoo and JimC

JimC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great news!

I've had my pump for over 6years now and I couldn't be happier. It has literally changed my life.
As previously mentioned, you should attend all the information sessions and talk to your diabetes nurse about any worries you have/
It does take a bit of getting used to, but it's not impossible. There will be an adjustment period where you and your nurse will figure out how much insulin you need but if you already change your dose with carb counting, you're half way there.

Please get let me know if there's anything you want to know from another pump user.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! I do carb count and have recently had a refresher on that.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @JimC
great news about your upcoming pump !!
after injecting for 43 years -- it was really weird and almost as though I had lost someone the first few days on my pump-and because your settings to start with may not be your individual ideal you may find some blood sugars that you are not totally pleased with.( my DSN was quite conservative so my BG's were running high at first )

remember you are learning something completely new so do be kind to yourself and give it time.

It took me about 6-8 weeks to get all my settings adjusted

Reactions: JimC

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
You will love it. Its a lot less to do when it comes to meal times, just check your bg enter your carbs and bolus and off you go.

"Love Your Pump"

Martin