Accidentally given too much basal...any tips?

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like an idiot I have given myself 15u lantus instead of 9u.
Just a mix up at tea time just now, I am having a fairly carby dinner so have only administered half of my novorapid I would have normally.
I'll avoid exercise tomorrow and I have a dexcom G5 which can alert when I'm asleep if BG drops but is there anything else that could be suggested for the next 24h?
Thanks so much!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @katmcd,

Apologies for the late reply. This forum is awful in regards to the alerts, so I hadn't got wind of this thread when it was posted...

In this instance, I would say that you've done the right thing in lowering your meal time bolus - although reducing your bolus by half may have been slightly excessive. Especially if there was a lot of carbohydrate in your meal. It is always better to be high than low, especially during the night.

If I was in your situation, I would have opted for a 20g carb snack before hitting the hay. As your using the G5, you also have the luxury of being alerted when your heading for a hypo too - so there's no real need to run very high BG's overnight.

As for today, it would be a good idea to slightly reduce your bolus doses for meals; or to set your target higher than normal. So if you aim for a 6mmol/L normally, maybe try aiming for 8-9mmol/L. Let us know how you get on:)

Reactions: himtoo

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam Thank you for your reply. It has all been fairly settled and nothing dramatic has happened as I expected from too much basal rather than too much quick acting. Luckily I'm off work this week so I can be as lazy as I like today!
Overnight was fine. I did go to bed higher than I usually aim for at 8 and woke up at 6 so your advice wold have been spot on.
I'll try and make sure not to have this happen again, silly how a tweak in normal routine can muck things up.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam Thank you for your reply. It has all been fairly settled and nothing dramatic has happened as I expected from too much basal rather than too much quick acting. Luckily I'm off work this week so I can be as lazy as I like today!
Overnight was fine. I did go to bed higher than I usually aim for at 8 and woke up at 6 so your advice wold have been spot on.
I'll try and make sure not to have this happen again, silly how a tweak in normal routine can muck things up.
These things happen. I've double dosed my basal a couple of times. Also, I've ended up not taking my basal, because I thought I had done already...

We're human and we all make mistakes, but you're more than aware of what to do in such an event so you're well prepared. A step ahead!

Enjoy your week off:)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rarely I'll think later in the AM (when I take Lantus): Did I take it this morning? I try and leave my Lantus pen on the bathroom counter after I take it and put it in the drawer later on.

Reactions: HLC2017

Robkww

These things happen. I've double dosed my basal a couple of times. Also, I've ended up not taking my basal, because I thought I had done already...

We're human and we all make mistakes, but you're more than aware of what to do in such an event so you're well prepared. A step ahead!

Enjoy your week off:)

Hi @GrantGam, thank you for the really useful input you provide to the forum - but what has happened to your avatar?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @GrantGam, thank you for the really useful input you provide to the forum - but what has happened to your avatar?
Thank you @Robkww; that's very nice of you to say:)

Oh, don't worry about the avatar! If you thought that I'd "let myself go" or stopped looking after my BGL's, don't worry - it's just Mick Fleetwood looking spooky:)

Reactions: therower